Windows 7 Mafia 2 Demo

I was quite impressed with the game, quite enjoyed Mafia 1, however it's blatently clear Nvidia has hobbled the physx on this title for ATi users... game maxed without it gets me 60fps constant average (no surprise since I have Vsync locked to 60fps), soon as add physx mode it runs at 12fps on the benchmark. That's a complete disgrace, as Batman Arkum Asylum with maxed physx ran faster on my 5870 ati using cpu physx than it did on my old 8800 with physx on GPU. I wonder if I rolled back to a much older Physx build release it would suddenly run well... if it does... I wouldn't like to see what the press makes of it.

I'd also like to say "SHAME ON YOU" to the devs for taking Nvidia bribes, rather than implementing OpenCL physics.... but I guess Nvidia where too scared to have a level playing field, although given the games name of "MAFIA" it's somewhat ironic.

Last edited:
2K Czech has revealed requirements and recommendations for Mafia 2 PC version:
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Processor: Pentium D 3Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Dual core) or higher
RAM: 1.5 GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 / ATI HD2600 Pro or better
Hard Disc Space: 8 GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad
RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better
Hard Disc: 10 GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compliant card
Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad
PHYSX/APEX ENHANCEMENTS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Minimum Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
Recommended Processor: 2.66 GHz Core i7-920
RAM: 2 GB
Video Cards and resolution: APEX medium settings
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (or better) for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better)
Video Cards and resolution: APEX High settings
Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better) and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 285 (or better) for PhysX
NVIDIA GPU driver: 197.13 or later.
NVIDIA PhysX driver: 10.04.02_9.10.0522. Included and automatically installed with the game.

You may notice there's a complete abscences of ATi once you talk Physx....however Physx rendering DOES work with just a Ati card however it defaults to CPU based emulation which is hobbled quite heavily for non-Nvidia users, how do I know it's hobbled? because I played many physx enabled games all of which run fine except this, not to mention Nvidias recent tactic of disabling physx support on a multi GPU with mixed vendor rig which up until recent so-called "Improvements" to the forceware drivers worked perfectly co-excisting together. NVIDIA just reek of being a spoil sports because they were late to the dance, there is no justified reason to disable thier own products if it is a 2nd GPU just to dash Atis populatity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom