Windows 7 MAJOR HELP!!!

AimeeP

Ok so when I try to log onto my computer an error message pops up that says "user profile service failed to logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I looked up the solution and it can simply be fixed by pressing f8 while windows is starting and booting into safe mode. AND THEN IT GETS COMPLICATED. the resolution on my monitor it too high to display anything in safe mode. I can't fix either problem without fixing the other first. I tried booting my computer in low res but then it's not in safe mode. Is there a way to do this at the same time?? I need to change my resolution without logging in and then boot into safe mode to fix my original problem. I am not trying to take the computer apart and remove my graphics card. I know very little about computers but understand directions well so if you would instruct me on how to fix this problem it would be a life saver!!!!

When you get the error message, does the machine go ahead and support your logging on with a temporary profile?
If so there are a couple things you can try:

1. Open an elevated command prompt and type
net user administrator /active:yes
and hit enter
If you receive the "The command completed successfully." info following that command then you should be able to log off and log back on with the local Administrator's account.
While in as local administrator you can build a new administrator group user account (new name new password) this might come in handy if you need to transfer to it at a later time.

2. While in the temporary profile account you may also try, opening device manager, expand display adapters and simply uninstall the display adapter and then promptly reboot your machine into Safe Mode to perform whatever it is you wish to do in Safe Mode. This should result in a generic VGA adapter being used and prevent the installation of whatever driver has your display setting too high for safe mode.

When you get the error message, does the machine go ahead and support your logging on with a temporary profile?
If so there are a couple things you can try:

1. Open an elevated command prompt and type
net user administrator /active:yes
and hit enter
If you receive the "The command completed successfully." info following that command then you should be able to log off and log back on with the local Administrator's account.
While in as local administrator you can build a new administrator group user account (new name new password) this might come in handy if you need to transfer to it at a later time.

2. While in the temporary profile account you may also try, opening device manager, expand display adapters and simply uninstall the display adapter and then promptly reboot your machine into Safe Mode to perform whatever it is you wish to do in Safe Mode. This should result in a generic VGA adapter being used and prevent the installation of whatever driver has your display setting too high for safe mode.

The system does not let me log in on temp profile.

the resolution on my monitor it too high to display anything in safe mode. I can't fix either problem without fixing the other first. I tried booting my computer in low res but then it's not in safe mode.

When you boot in safe mode, you automatically get VGA resolution. Windows will try to fit as much of your desktop on the screen as it can, but some items may not fit. Interacting with Windows will be in VGA mode, so "new" information should appear and behave as if you are using a VGA monitor. This should happen as long as you are using a display intended as a computer monitor. If you are using something unusual that requires special drivers to work at all, you may need to temporarily connect a standard monitor (any size/resolution should work).

What happens when you boot in safe mode? Do you get a blank screen or just one where the desktop looks jumbled and unfamiliar? If it is that latter, just ignore the appearance and do what you have to do in safe mode. If it is the former, there is a bigger problem going on than just the user profile. You might need to do something like use an external boot disk (CD/DVD) to do a system restore or to gain access to fix the problem.

Last edited:
When you boot in safe mode, you automatically get VGA resolution. Windows will try to fit as much of your desktop on the screen as it can, but some items may not fit. Interacting with Windows will be in VGA mode, so "new" information should appear and behave as if you are using a VGA monitor. This should happen as long as you are using a display intended as a computer monitor. If you are using something unusual that requires special drivers to work at all, you may need to temporarily connect a standard monitor (any size/resolution should work).

What happens when you boot in safe mode? Do you get a blank screen or just one where the desktop looks jumbled and unfamiliar? If it is that latter, just ignore the appearance and do what you have to do in safe mode. If it is the former, there is a bigger problem going on than just the user profile. You might need to do something like use an external boot disk (CD/DVD) to do a system restore or to gain access to fix the problem.

When I boot into safe mode the screen goes blank with a tiny message saying maximum resolution is too high. Just recently I removed an antivirus program and I think this is what's causing the problem. I don't have an external boot disk or anyway to put programming back onto my computer once it is restored.

See if you can borrow a monitor, use an old one, or buy a cheap small monitor, even a used one from a thrift shop. Sounds like there is more corrupted than just the user profile. Any chance you have the Windows CD if your computer came with one? Sounds like you didn't make an emergency boot disk when you first got the computer? BTW, restoring Windows just reloads previously working files; there should be minimal effect on other software.

I
See if you can borrow a monitor, use an old one, or buy a cheap small monitor, even a used one from a thrift shop. Sounds like there is more corrupted than just the user profile. Any chance you have the Windows CD if your computer came with one? Sounds like you didn't make an emergency boot disk when you first got the computer? BTW, restoring Windows just reloads previously working files; there should be minimal effect on other software.

I do not have an emergency boot disk or any disk with windows software on it. I have hooked up a slightly older monitor to the computer but it's still the same size. I'm thinking about getting a

I don't have a disc with any windows programming on it. I know how to remove all of my info off of the computer and onto a disk or flash drive but getting the programming once I restore my computer is what I'm worried about at this point.

It's a good idea to regularly back up what's on your hard drive, but you won't necessarily have to remove or reinstall anything, software or files, to fix your system. "Restoring" your system should mainly involve "surgically" repairing or replacing Windows system files that are not working correctly.

I do not have an emergency boot disk or any disk with windows software on it.
I don't have a disc with any windows programming on it........... but getting the programming once I restore my computer is what I'm worried about at this point.
Not at all sure exactly what you mean when you say "windows programming" if that refers to the operating system or not because you subtly say something similar just a few words later "getting the programming once I restore my computer". Which would seem to indicate that you do have a means to restore your computer. So......
How did Windows 7 happen to be on this computer? If it was factory installed and you don't have or didn't receive any media then perhaps there is a recovery option boot menu built into the system which would reset everything back to the way it came from the factory, which should include any programs that came with the computer originally including all the bloatware.

As far as any additional programs......
My question would be how did they come to be installed on the computer and from what source. My suggestion would be to avail yourself of that source again and reinstall them

You said "I know how to remove all of my info off of the computer and onto a disk or flash drive" I hope that is the case as a factory reset will remove all your critical data, docs, music, photos, email (stored locally), etc.

Good point. There are two approaches to fixing your computer. One is to find a way to get access to the system that is "non-destructive". This includes things such as emergency disks (which you don't have), and various repair disks that provide enough of Windows (or Linux), to boot the machine and apply tools to effect repairs of corrupted system files, or give you access to the Internet to run utilities like MS Fixit. There are even things you can do by removing the hard disk and connecting it to another computer in order to copy certain files to it. Those approaches are surgical and won't affect other stuff on your computer.

The nuclear option is to access a restore partition and put the computer back to "virgin" condition. As Trouble described, that will fix pretty much any non-hardware problem if you can access that partition, but you will be starting over. It will be like a brand new computer, with no third-party software installed, nothing configured, etc.

Back