Windows 7 Major Upset with Mickeysoft

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
I purchased a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. It would not activate using the code in the box. Seems the code in the box was for what ever reason deemed no good by the registration server. Had to call to get it activated. Why? Retail box purchases should have unlimitied installs, correct? If this is true it will be the last Mickeysoft product I buy.

That does sound odd.. I should contact your supplier and get it changed. As for unlimited installs.. Yes it's true that you can re-install the retail version of windows as many times as you like as long as it's on one machine although after the first 5 installs you can only activate by telephone.

But whats even better,
I did a little snooping and found out the code I got over the phone is good for 3 installs. Gee lets make sense of this puppy.

All true, just a little frustrating is all. After consultation with Microsoft it appears what got me in the fix in the first place was the install of a wireless card. Which was not on the original list of equipment. By the way, it did not work anyway so thats what makes it a little less exciting here.

That does sound odd.. I should contact your supplier and get it changed. As for unlimited installs.. Yes it's true that you can re-install the retail version of windows as many times as you like as long as it's on one machine although after the first 5 installs you can only activate by telephone.

Are you sure, I have did more than five installs on my windows 7 home premium and have not had to activate by telephone.

Sure am cause I will have to do it again today as yesterdays installs did not work. I was not able to run Microsoft Office 2007 properly as I could use the search. And there is really not much that can be done as there really is not anyone to complain to. So, the heck with it. Time to move on. But, I will not buy another Microsoft product. Sine I feel they have been a little less than honest as to how this really got messed up.

I was not able to run Microsoft Office 2007 properly as I could use the search

I don't quite understand the above sentence.

Why not ask for help in this situation?

Are you performing upgrades or 'clean' installs?

I will always use the Microsoft OS's, but none of their other products.

You can dump Office down the toilet IMHO.

What OS would you be selecting, all are full of security holes , even Linux lately. Read some posts in the Security Zone forum

Are you sure, I have did more than five installs on my windows 7 home premium and have not had to activate by telephone.

I have..

I did try to find something via google to show but for some reason I could only find the activation rules for vista retail (which is the same 5 times) It wouldn't surprise me though if at times this number stretched to 6 or even 7 times with some users..

Thanks kemical, I was just curious since I have done more installs. By the way doing so many installs had nothing to do with Win 7. I have a bad habit of experimitting and usually find it easier to just do a clean install when I mess it up.

kemical is the best. He's got me settled back down again. Now that I understand everything. I experiment also and there's more than a few times things well don't work out. Anyway, when I called the toll free number yesterday to a new code. Surprise surprise, as it was all taken care of by the automated person I guess you would call it, and not the real life person whom I sort of don't like cause I hate answering questions. So, I am back to normal and for once everything is working just like clock work. kemical you should win the award for the best person who can deal with just about anyone. And I got to admit I can be hard to deal with sometimes.

On the other hand, I should also add one last thing. If it was not for experimentation, I probably would have no fun at all.

Wow Lorenkjr thanks for the very kind words.. Glad your all sorted and yes, I'm always tweaking this and that too. It's a great way of learning about what can or can't be done (as long as you don't go too far of course).

I really appreciate your kind words Jim but it's really you guy's that make the forum what it is.. I feel very privileged to be working alongside some truly great people.

Long may it continue... :)

Hey kemical without you I would have a hard time fitting anywhere. And kudo's to drew also. Basically as with Vista I have been using registry cleaners most likely too often and too much. You can really only take out so much from the registry before you are going to run into problems. But alas, it's one thing I keep doing even though it's most likely killing me, Windows, and my computer in general. However, if not for experimentation on my part what fun would have. Probably not much. Thanks again folks and always a pleasure doing business here, especially where I have so many friends.

I use another cleaning aid which removes system error files ect..

Open command prompt and type:

Cleanmgr/Sageset:1

Then press enter. A box will appear very much like the 'Disk clean' one although this has more boxes to tick. Tick all the boxes and click ok.
Then back to command prompt and type:

Cleanmgr/Sagerun:1

Then press enter. The advanced cleaner will then run through the cleaning process. This cleaner is now set up and will run anytime you type in the above. (no need to type in the first part).

Excellent find

Good work!

I still love the command line so I had to find out more

Cleanmgr tuneup:n performs the same operation.

Attached screen shot shows options, however Kemical found another switch

Last edited:
Ah shucks, thats nothing. It's well deserved. I just can't lick the BSOD's thing quite yet, They are not all the time but, the indications are they are software related. But, I keep trying. It's just frustrating. You think you know something about what your doing and again it rears it's ugly head. Maybe I will figure it out one day. Back to experimentation. Be good and be well. Oh let me not forget reghakr either. Which by the way, I see you like cars a lot. Is that your Chevy Nova I see every now and then, what a beauty. I love cars though I no longer drive them.

Back