Manual update and annoying 'solve problem'-flag

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by CJD, Feb 1, 2010.

1. CJD

CJD New Member

I don't want to automatically update Windows when there are new updates and therefor i've set Win Update to letting me know there are new updates and then manually selecting which ones i want to download. This is causing Windows to show a small flag in the system tray with a message about 'solving a problem' - the problem seems to be that i've set Win Update to manual. How do i remove this "problem" flag? I would still like to get notified when there are REAL problems though.

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

The action center is divided into two section, Security and Maintenance. The message you are talking about is being generated by the Security section, so I guess Microsoft considers it a security issue for you to determine how you want to receive updates. I believe that you can safely turn off that message by simply selecting to "Turn off messages about Windows Update" in the security section, I don't believe that that will have any impact on the "Check for updates" section in the Maintenance area of the action center