Many installed program Icons changing to WIN7 Default Icon

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by JPMTJR, Dec 30, 2009.

1. JPMTJR

JPMTJR New Member

The programs do still work but the icons are changing on their own to the WIN7 Default Icon. I go into the properties of the Shortcut and change the Icon back to what it is supposed to be but after a reboot it changes again to the Default Icon. ALso, I have MS Office 2007 installed and the Shortcut for this application doesn't give me the ability to change the Icon in the Shortcut Properties.

2. Mitchell_A

Mitchell_A Excellent Member

Which default icon is it? And also, did you perform a clean install, or did you upgrade to Windows 7.

3. JPMTJR

JPMTJR New Member

I upgraded from Vista Ultimate 64 Bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. The Following Icons have changed to the Default Windows 7 Icons: Outlook 2007, HP Media Smart, Lightscribe, Roxio Creator 2010, Sonicfire Pro 5, Sound Soap SE 2, HP Easy Printer Care, HP Update, SeaGate Manager, Snagit 9 Editor, Snagit 9, Shop for HP Supplies, Snood Deluxe...to name a few.

4. Mitchell_A

So you did an upgrade? That's the culprit. We could go into extended troubleshooting which could take weeks and we might still not find a solution, so I'd suggest you back-up and re-install Windows 7 (doing a custom/clean install this time) From the time you start the setup to the time you have all your files restored shouldn\t take anymore then 2 hours. This is almost guaranteed to fix the problem.

5. Mitchell_A

As well as improve performance and eliminate any other problems you may encounter.

6. JPMTJR

JPMTJR New Member

That's not what I wanted to hear. I really do not want to format and reinstall. I'm hoping that Microsoft comes out with a fix in their updates. I guess that I will wait. I can live with it.

I thought that maybe, somehow, Icons could be loaded into the Windows Icon Library (You know when you first click on "Change Icon" from the Shortcut's Properties). There are a bunch of Icons there and I was hoping that I could somehow add additional Icons to this list and then maybe the Shortcut icons will not change if they are easily found.

7. Mitchell_A

As you wish, though there will be no update as this isn't a problem affecting millions of PC's or anything, it's unique as most upgrade problems are.

Now that I think about it.. I remember something about resetting the default icon something or other, I'll try and remember what it was and post back.