Windows 8 Many question

Shree Bhagwat

Hi Greetings,
firstly I am new to this forum so i do not know much of the rules and regulation about it and sorry if iam posting this in a wrong thread.
As the title says i have a lot of question which needs to be answered .

Things to be known :-
I have Lenevo g500 laptop with win 8 single language pre installed.
currently running win 8.1 preview (updated from windows store)
and i get "one key recovery damaged error"

I updated to windows 8.1 pro preview and before updating i created a usb flash recovery drive but i do not know why i cannot get back to windows 8 using recovery flash drive and as my one key recovery gives me error as said above i cannot use it to recover my lappi back to normal.

1.so if i directly flash a windows 8 single language by dvd will it need activation
2.if i get to know my product key and use it while installation will it work
3. how can i restore back to win 8
4. If i wait ,will i get an update to fully working win 8.1
5. how can i bring my one key recovery back to normal

Hi Shree and welcome to the forum.

many questions can be answered here:

Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ - Microsoft Windows

I will go through your queries and answer as best I can:

1.so if i directly flash a windows 8 single language by dvd will it need activation

If you mean by this that if you re-install windows 8 using a disk that you burnt then you will still need to activate the install.

2.if i get to know my product key and use it while installation will it work

If you mean the key that came with your windows 8 install then unfortunately that will be tied to the installation that is currently on your lappie

3. how can i restore back to win 8

If you check the FAQ above it say's this about returning to Windows 8:

Can I uninstall Windows 8.1 Preview?

[FONT=WOL_Reg]Uninstalling the preview isn't supported. However, it may be possible to restore your entire system to its factory condition.
If your PC came with Windows 8 you may be able to restore it back to Windows 8 by using PC refresh. Your personal files won't be affected, but apps that did not come with the PC will need to be reinstalled and apps that you installed while using the preview may not be available through the Windows 8 Store. To find out more about using PC refresh, see Restore, refresh, or reset your PC.
If you're running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you can't uninstall the preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC (typically DVD media). If you don't have recovery media you might be able to create it before you update from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more info. After you install Windows 8.1 Preview you won't be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.
[/FONT]

4. If i wait ,will i get an update to fully working win 8.1

As this current release is a Preview it's unlikely a update will be released.

5. how can i bring my one key recovery back to normal

Try using PC refresh to get your installation back to Windows 8. I think the reason your seeing this error is because you've changed the nature of the operating system residing in the hidden partition. Going back will hopefully put things right.

This web page will tell you how to either Restore, Refresh or reset your pc:

How to restore, refresh or reset your PC - Microsoft Windows Help

Last edited by a moderator:
Back