Mark Russinovich on MinWin, the new core of Windows

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
http://keznews.com/6532_Mark_Russinovich_on_MinWin__the_new_core_of_Windows

Now Windows 7

is actually residing on paying consumers' desktops, and inside of it -- and inside of is the MinWin kernel architecture...and yet few have been made clear as to what it actually is.

A few weeks ago in Los Angeles, Microsoft technical fellow Mark Russinovich -- absolutely the world's leading authority on Windows performance and architecture -- took time to explain to developers attending PDC 2009 in Los Angeles exactly what this is. In summary, it's a way to graft onto Windows some semblance of the architectural layering it should have had, if its architects in the 1980s had any foresight into how Windows would be used thirty years later. It enables current and future Microsoft developers to evolve new configurations of the operating system, without having to rewrite core services or worry about breaking dependencies between those services and upper-level APIs.

"If you look back at the evolution of Windows, it's evolved very organically, where components are added to the system and features are added to the system without, in the past, any real focus on architecture or layering," Russinovich explained. "And that's led us to do some hacks with Windows, when we want to make small footprint versions of Windows like Server Core, or Embedded Windows, or Windows PE -- the pre-installation environment. What we do [instead] is take full Windows, and start pulling pieces off of it. The problem with that is, the pieces that are left sometimes have dependencies out to the pieces that we've removed. And we don't really understand those dependencies."

http://keznews.com/6532_Mark_Russinovich_on_MinWin__the_new_core_of_Windows

Last edited:
I loved Sysinternals utilities. That's where I gained my knowledge of the registry........using Regmon.

That guy is a demi-god

I loved Sysinternals utilities. That's where I gained my knowledge of the registry........using Regmon.

That guy is a demi-god

I see you polished up the Nova...looks good. I loved the Mopars myself, however the Chevelle SS was nothing to sneeze at either.

Hey Kevin,.'

were you in hiatus there.;)

Haven;t seen you on the boards for a long time.

Welcome back.:)

Been takin g part in the new economy....which means just more work dumped onto already overworked people. I thought it would slow a couple of months back, but it looks as if X-Mas is the time it slows...its nice to be back

Back
Top Bottom