Windows 7 Massive problems!

Octose

So recently I had to purchase a new HDD due to massive BSOD's due to an unknown corruption or trojan.

Today I installed a brand new Western Digital BLack Caviar drive and everything worked flawlessly until I started downloading files (specifically those for my security, i.e. avast, norton, microsoft security essentials, malwarebytes).

The files downloaded fine with different browsers until they were in the extraction/installation phase. Every download turned into a "file is corrupt" or "failed to extract" error message.

I'm sure it's not a reuter issue, but a hardware/software issue. Anyone know any possibilites to fixing this dreaded issue? This PC has given me days of grief -_-

bump! please guys, anyone who could help would be great! I really need to get this fixed as I leave for College in a few days!

First of all you have not included any system specs so no one can possibly know where to begin http://windows7forums.com/blue-scre...you-filling-your-system-specs.html#post232063
Second how are you downloading the files? Try using Firefox and see if behaves any better.
Try downloading the files using safemode with networking and see if the problem persists.
Don't use multiple AV products simultaneously. Uninstall all and use the vendor specific proprietary removal tool if available Security Software | SingularLabs or Google for it.
Use MSE from here Link Removed due to 404 Error
And you can augment that with MalwareBytes Pro from here if you like, Malwarebytes not too expensive considering it's a lifetime license.
Finally we can take a closer look if you'd like
Click start and type
msinfo32
hit enter
IN the resultant window click file-> save
Pick a place to save it (Desktop)
give it a name (system.nfo)
Zip it up and attach it to your next post and we'll see if we can spot any glaring problems.
Regards
Randy

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Home Premium OEM System Builder Pack)
ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3
i5-2500k (currently stock speeds)
American Megatrends Inc. P1.20, 11/7/2011
8gb 4x2 @ Stock 1600 speeds (this won't show in the msinfo fyi because I pull my RAM back in) - by GSkill (Ripjaws Gaming Series RAM to be precise)
GTX570 Superclocked by EVGA at Stock Speeds
No idea on Manufacturer (came with my old DELL) - 700Ws

I can't download Firefox's .exe because it says File is Corrupt - I managed to download Chrome successfully though as it just runs itself upon hitting the download button - still, file's are corrupt.

As for the other stuff - Downloads don't work in Safe Mode either, says "File is Corrupt" or "failed to extract". I've also tried loading .exe's through a USB - never loads itself.

I can't download MSE or Malware Bytes due to this stuff.

If you have another machine or can get some help from a friend, relative or neighbor, grab a blank CD and this program What is Windows Defender Offline?
The program will help you build a bootable CD from which you can boot your problem computer and perform a FULL offline scan, independent of your operating system. The programs defaults to a quick scan so after it completes, change the selection to Full Scan and run it again.
Additionally test your system memory for errors.
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+
AND
Check your system drive for errors.
Launch an elevated command prompt (StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, right click it and choose Run As Administrator) and type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter and answer Yes “Y” when prompted and reboot.
Let it run all five stages. When complete check the log file in Event Viewer for results (Click the StartOrb and type event viewer and hit enter, expand Windows Logs and highlight / select Application, click Action on the menu bar and select Find and type chkdsk and hit enter.

I will do some tests - another person I've talked to told me my Windows 7 disc could have possibly been corrupted so he told me to burn an ISO to a disc and use my key? Is this at all a possibility?

I suppose anything is possible. It would be rare in the case of a retail or oem DVD but more likely if the source was an ISO and even more likely if the ISO was burned to disc using a burning speed above 4x (the slower the better).
Having said that, I suspect that you might have noticed issues during the install if the media was corrupt but again anything is possible.
Yes you should be able to obtain and ISO from here Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO – Official Direct Download Links and use your product key when prompted.
Have you double checked with your router manufacturer and made sure that there is not firmware update available for your particular device?

Checking the Disk as we speak - Ran Memtest86+ for about 7 hours (9 passes), I've run it previously but no errors once again.

I tried to burn a CD with that Microsoft Offline Tool dealio and at the "Processing File" area of the stages it gives me an error saying it was unable to download (I am using a different PC for this yes.)

I'll post later when the Hard Drive check is done.

i have used avast and norton, i currently use only microsoft security essentials and malwarebyte's antimalware. I would remove norton and avast to avoid program conflicts. mse runs great, it's microsoft antivirus for free :)

I tried to burn a CD with that Microsoft Offline Tool dealio and at the "Processing File" area of the stages it gives me an error saying it was unable to download (I am using a different PC for this yes.)
TWo different computers, same network, similar errors...... check your router manufacturer for a firmware update and or try to swap out the router with a different one for testing (borrow one or pick one up at a store that has a liberal return policy in case it proves not to be an issue) I suspect that if it's not a software / firmware issue on the router than it may be something physical in the backplane or ICs.

I have CDBurnerXP installed, i found that it works just fine with Windows 7 :)
i was wndering whether you were just having trouble with just this program, in other words,
can you download pictures or other material ok otherwise?

Last edited:
TWo different computers, same network, similar errors...... check your router manufacturer for a firmware update and or try to swap out the router with a different one for testing (borrow one or pick one up at a store that has a liberal return policy in case it proves not to be an issue) I suspect that if it's not a software / firmware issue on the router than it may be something physical in the backplane or ICs.

Hmmm never thought of it that way - Been having issues with ROKU connection as well so I will be replacing the router in a few days. Will keep you updated.

Wow, now that I think of it - you might be right on this one - my macbook has had incredible trouble loading youtube videos the past few days...

Hopefully it is! I don't want to get my hopes up though hahah

Downloaded every file on other PC's and received the same issue. It is indeed a network error that Comcast will be fixing soon, thank you all for the help and I will post back here once the issue is fully resolved.

Back