Windows 7 media center freezes my PC

fboecom

I have installed W7 on my AMDX2 3800 / Nvidia FX5500 with the 96.85 forceware drivers. I am using an lcd panel and a tv as secondary screen on S-video. I was quite happy with W7 as well as with MCE; MCE on W7 was the reason to move to W7. Until to my surprise, with some actions, the PC freezes using MCE. That has happened with maximizing the MCE window or opposite± windowing the app- it has happened with calibrating the TV screen, but for sure it happens when browsing through my movie library and I skip through year/ genre etcetera. Hard reset is needed.

VLC runs fine and switches easily between full screen and windowed. TV watching with MCE is fine too. I tried changing the AGP settings in the BIOS, used safe settings, no improvements.

A solution would be appreciated.

Well... a bit disappointed no one could answer. Here is the result of my further investigation.
I have 'solved' the problem by removing the dual display setup into single display.
So: only one display: MCE runs fine. I can choose LCD or TV, both work in single display mode.
Dual (copy) display generates the freeze.
Ergo conclusio: a combination of W7, MCE, Nvidia 96.85 vista whql driver, Nvidia FX5500, who knows may tell me..
I am filing this issue under hardware compatibility.
I have to live with 'either' display, which, for this time, I can, even when I cannot always see the characters on the TV screen.
If I have to admin my PC I am using Remote Desktop through my laptop and WiFi.

Back
Top Bottom