Windows 7 Media Center/Player

SuperShoe

I'm having a problem with Media Center playing TV from my Pinnacle PCTV 801e SE USB Stick and DVDs from both Media Center and Player. This was all working at one point and I changed absolutely nothing when it started doing this. I currently get the error: "Decoder Error: The video decoder has either malfunctioned or is not installed. Restart Windows Media Center or the computer." I have obviously tried doing what it says to no avail. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the tuner drivers, updated video drivers, installed the tuner software to see if it would install a codec for it, run system restore, anything I could think of except reinstalling Windows. I would try to reinstall Windows, but I seem to have lost the image and I can't find anywhere to download it. Any suggestions would be great and I tried searching google to no avail.

Oh, Media Player give the error, "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows dsiplay settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings." This is why I tried display drivers. But any adjustments doesn't fix the problem. If you need anymore information, ask and tell me how to find that information.

Edit: Just to clarify, after reading some of the discussions in General Chat, I'm using build 7000 (beta 1).

Thanks.

Last edited:
I found a place to download the image and I did an upgrade install and it's working fine now.

i have the same problem . ive had everything working like a dream. then all of a sudden mce doesnt see mt tv tuner and wmp closes on start???i cant even see recorded shows it says i dont have the right codec???

For DVD playing download VLC -- this has the decrypter in it (LIBDVDCSS -- on Linux but same principle on Windows).

The pinnacle device should work on W7 . -- Clear out thedrivers and let Windows find them. If you MUST use the pinnacle driver then disable the Driver update using Windows update option.

AFAIK most of the Pinnacle software doesn't work on W7 so you'll have to use Windows Media center anyway for the moment.

cheers
jimbo

Back
Top Bottom