Memory for Win 7 64 vs XP 32

I am wanting to dual boot XP 32 with Win 7 64, at least until I have everything reinstalled on Win 7.

I currently have 3 gig memory installed, but I'm adding another 6 gig. Is there something I need to do in XP to allow it to boot with the 9 gig of memory? I realize that XP will only recognize 4 gig and that I can add /3GB, but I don't know if I need to do that or not. I have a evga X58 MB which has triple channel memory. I have 1 gig in each of the 1st 3 slots and want to add 2 gig in each of the 2nd 3 slots.

Thanks for any help and insight you can provide.

Jan

Highwayman

Extraordinary Member
XP will merely ignore ram above the 3gig boundry

XP Dual Boot

When I load up my other 6 gig of memory my XP OS crashes. There isn't a BSOD - it just reboots. How can I tell what the problem is?

Thanks.

Highwayman

Extraordinary Member
When I load up my other 6 gig of memory my XP OS crashes. There isn't a BSOD - it just reboots. How can I tell what the problem is?

Thanks.

Most likely you havent clicked on that you need matched pairings (1-1 or 1-1/2-2), at least thats how it is on DDR2 so triple banking ddr3 will likely mean you need to use a trio banking like 1-1-1 2-2-2 layout....I think. There should be a bank layout table for different amoutns of ram in the manual, check you have this correct.

Last edited:
They are matching sets - all 6 are 8-8-8-24. I have Corsair Dominators - same type just different sizes.

Highwayman

Extraordinary Member
They are matching sets - all 6 are 8-8-8-24. I have Corsair Dominators - same type just different sizes.
Yes but what i mean isnt the timings but the fact you may have to setup the banks in a certain way pricisely because they are different sizes. I'm just not sure if they have to be paired or trio.

They are triple channel - all of the same size are on 1 channel. Do you know how to tell what the issue is - since I'm not getting BSOD?

sjv1988

Have you got a BIOS speaker set up in your PC? If your computer's BIOS has a problem with the setup, that little speaker will sound a series of tones to give you an idea of what's wrong. If you do have a speaker, and it's not making any sound except a single beep at power-up, then the problem's not your BIOS, but the computer trying to start the software. No BSOD means it isn't far enough into the program to write an error to RAM.

It actually gets booted into Windows and the first time brought up the majority of the software and then just rebooted. Sorry I wasn't clear enough about that. It's actually rebooting from Windows, I don't have it set to automatically restart on system failure, but I noticed I am not writing an event to the event log either. I have changed that now though.

I am not hearing any beeps other than the reboot beep.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.