Windows 7 Memory Management error..but so much more..

DreamGirlB

Hi everyone!

I just joined this forum after finding some very valuable information. I'm hoping with my own knowledge I can help others. But for now I need help with a problem of my own!

My husband's computer is a Gateway, 3.0 Ghz, with an upgraded video card, (Nvidia 512MB Geforce8500GT) and usually around 4GB of Ram installed. At some point (we can't pin point when) he started getting blue screen of death every day. Some were Memory Mangement error messages, some were the IRQL messages.. some pointed to .sys files.

So after the memory management message today, I started to looking through the threads on this website. Advice was given to run the memtest86 on each piece of memory. So thats what we did. With each memory stick they all errored out. No matter what bay I put them in.. (and only one was in at a time) I thought that seemed a little weird. All erroring out at the same address. So I ran the test on my own rock solid pc (which I built myself) and all my memory worked came back cleaned without problems. So I took all of my memory out of my machine and ran the program on each stick of his memory in my computer. Each stick came back with no errors at all. Which leads us to believe that MAYBE all of the Memory Bays are bad... Is there any tool out there can check the memory bays not the dimms? Could the problem me somewhere else? His computer can run for hours, then while we're sleep.. it will blue screen..or sometimes while he's just surfing the net.

I'm hoping we can get some help.. .
BTW We are Running Vista.
Thanks!

Hi DreamgirlB,

welcome to the forum...:)

Could you supply anymore info on your hubby's actual motherboard and the brand of RAM used (plus size, speed and approx age). It may be that you need to apply a bios update or change certain parameters for the sticks to work..

So the computer is a Gateway 507GR
The motherboard is a IntelP915L Chipset
Memory is PNY DDR400 PC3200 512mb, 2.6V (3 stiks)
Kingston Memory 1GB (think its dead) - so doesnt matter.

Memory was purchased 6 months ago, and worked for 1-2 months with no problem.

Bios has never upgraded on the machine.

Thanks for your help kemical!

Let me know what else you need!

I'm a bit confused over exactly what RAM you have installed on that Gateway 507GR.
You mention "Memory is PNY DDR400 PC3200 512mb, 2.6V (3 stiks)" which I assume means there is 3x512mb. What does the part "Kingston Memory 1GB (think its dead)" refer too????????
If you have only 3x512mb memory sticks installed then perhaps you should be adding another as there are 4 slots available. They should be always installed in pairs and match each other accordingly. As far as I can see the maximum memory allowed for this rig is 2GB and if you are running vista you really need the maximum.

Here's the download page for your pc but the last update is dated 2005!

Gateway Support Drivers & Downloads

Have you tried running any other memory in your hubbies machine? Try one stick out of yours if you can... If it runs ok then the mobo is probably fine. The reason why the original RAM didn't fault out when in your machine is probably because memtest wasn't left running long enough and it would have faulted eventually. (sometimes it can take 12hrs for RAM to show a fault.)

You could try the intel site to see if they have any updated chipset drivers for the 915L

I'm a bit confused over exactly what RAM you have installed on that Gateway 507GR.
You mention "Memory is PNY DDR400 PC3200 512mb, 2.6V (3 stiks)" which I assume means there is 3x512mb. What does the part "Kingston Memory 1GB (think its dead)" refer too????????
If you have only 3x512mb memory sticks installed then perhaps you should be adding another as there are 4 slots available. They should be always installed in pairs and match each other accordingly. As far as I can see the maximum memory allowed for this rig is 2GB and if you are running vista you really need the maximum.

Okay I just got a correction from my husband, there were at one point 4 memoory sticks in the machine:
3 PNY 512 MB Memory Sticks
1 Kingston 512 MB Memory Sticks (not 1 gb)

Started having the problems, 1 -2 mons after then put this in the machine:
Left the 1 Kingston 512MB memory stick in, and nothing else.
I think this stick is dead because one of the gold strips at the bottom is missing.,
We did find that gold piece at the bottom of the memory bays yesterday, its now cleared out.

Even if he has 2GB in.. he still has the same issue.

I'm going to try to upgrade his nvidia card.. I dont know why but this card was installed sometime around the same time the initial new memory was installed.

Here's the download page for your pc but the last update is dated 2005!

Gateway Support Drivers & Downloads

Have you tried running any other memory in your hubbies machine? Try one stick out of yours if you can... If it runs ok then the mobo is probably fine. The reason why the original RAM didn't fault out when in your machine is probably because memtest wasn't left running long enough and it would have faulted eventually. (sometimes it can take 12hrs for RAM to show a fault.)

You could try the intel site to see if they have any updated chipset drivers for the 915L

Yeah Gateways's website sucks, there are no updates..and its probably time, he gets a new computer, or new motherboard. cpu, and case and move all his stuff over.

You really think his memory is bad? I know it didnt bomb out on my computer.. but his bombed out on the memtest on the same random address every time 808080808 - something like that. I could put one of my sticks in his machine and see what happens..

I think you're right before..maybe there is something about his computer that doesnt like the memtest and isnt reading it right. I'm going to see if i can update the video card driver as well.. Though Windows Update has nothing new for it.

I've just read your post above about the graphics card... Try installing the latest drivers found in the multimedia section of this forum..
Also just check that your hubbies mobo is supplying the correct voltage ect to those sticks as it's weird that they are fine in your machine but not in his...
Let us know how you get on with the RAM issue..

I've just read your post above about the graphics card... Try installing the latest drivers found in the multimedia section of this forum..
Also just check that your hubbies mobo is supplying the correct voltage ect to those sticks as it's weird that they are fine in your machine but not in his...
Let us know how you get on with the RAM issue..

Ok, I'll update the driver. What do you think of this... wit the 3 512MB memory sticks, he just added 1 258MB stick, and got a blue screen for the classpnp.sys. Have you seen that error before? I'm researching it now..thanks for your help so far.. :)

BTW, he rebooted again and then it let him get into Vista.. I hate when things keep randomly changing..

Have you tried just running with 2 sticks in?

Kemical,

What's interesting that now its in a almost constant reboot pattern. We're going to take that 256MB Dimm out. But, if we boot into safemode, it does not reboot, blue screen at all. You can surf the internet, etc with no problem. Does that complete eliminate the memory as being the problem? And does it now point to a driver a problem? I've disabled the Wireless Nic, and the Happauge TV tuner.. just to see.

It does sound like a driver problem..
If you can find a stick of RAM that works ok I'd put it in your hubbies machine. Then using your pc I'd find all the latest drivers for your hubbies machine (including bios updates, you may have to open up the pc and get the motherboards exact name and make to get the latest version) and then perform a reformat. I'd just ignore the fact that it's a Gateway model and just work off the individual components.

As a start here's a few links..

Graphics
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Chipset
Link Removed - Invalid URL

So... weeks later I think we're close to finding the problem.

He took out his TV Happauge Tuner Card, and it's been stable.
He's operating on 3 X 512MB memory sticks with no problem.
Well not completely true- today- we played Killer Instinct (Snes game) on an emulator on the computer..and it blue screened because on Memory Management.
But beyond that it's been stable..will continue to add memory and see if stabilizes.

DreamGirlB

here is my story...

HelloI want to tell you my story.I had job during 30 years. everything was fine and I had everything. but crisis came. the concern declared bankrrupt. every worker was fired. and I have lost my job and now I am in despair. I do not have $ and I am in depression. :( But in spite of this I am trying to be an optimistic girl and i hope everything will be ok.Please, advise me how to get rid of depression. please, don't delete my message. I want to hear your answers

Back