Windows 7 Memory Management

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I just had the first BSOD since I did a clean install. I would have attached a screenshot of what BlueScreenView had to say about it, but didn't see anything in the post options that provides that ability. Can't we upload attachments any longer? In any case, the gist of it is that it's coded as a 0x1A and says that it was caused by the ntoskrnl.exe, at the address of ntoskrnl.exe+75c00. Since this problem occurred at fairly largely spaced intervals even on the old installation of the OS, and everything that I have read so far seems to indicate some kind of hardware problem, I'm inclined to think that it is.

However, running memory diagnostics on the RAM has never indicated a problem with it, and by extension with the CPU' memory controller (assuming that is what running the test with the cache enabled/disabled means)

I saw one post that quickly and vaguely mentioned the video card's memory as a possibility...is it?

EDIT: I guess that I'm going blind, found the upload button:

Attachments

• BSOD.png
    BSOD.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 505
Please provide your full system specs to get precise answers. However, have a look on the following and see if it may addresses the issue:

1. Update all your drivers. For detail, kindly look onto the manufactures website.
2. Uninstall any suspicious program from the system such as one that is not from the trusted software publisher.
3. Check hard drive for errors using the instructions given at the below URL:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

Moreovoer, here is the list of causes that could throws blue screen errors:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Make sure that you've none of them or checked all of them.

At last, if none of the above helps you, we'll need minidump files to find the route cause of the problem and provide you the accurate solution. Find the detailed instructions on how to enable your system to store minidump files generated during crashes and upload them here in your next reply.

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

Good Luck in advance!!

Numbers 1-3 done before I posted. Here's the dump:

Attachments

• 081313-25630-01.dmp
    304.4 KB · Views: 492
Hi,

I'm inclined to confirm that the RAM has gone bad and it might requires replacement. As the problem is infrequent, I'd recommend using system with single slot and see if the same happens again. If yes, follow the same steps with running using the second one and replace the first one.

What you can do is wait over sometime till the next BSOD error occurs and send the minidump files again to see if the issue is something else.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm inclined to confirm that the RAM has gone bad and it might requires replacement. As the problem is infrequent, I'd recommend using system with single slot and see if the same happens again. If yes, follow the same steps with running using the second one and replace the first one.

What you can do is wait over sometime till the next BSOD error occurs and send the minidump files again to see if the issue is something else.

Thanks

I know that is a possibility, but shouldn't either Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86+ find if there is a problem of that kind? I'm somewhat reluctant to go with only one stick of RAM, because of the amount of time it might take to determine if there is a problem with one of them, and I'm already running into memory problems as things are. I would sooner just buy new RAM, but don't really want to do that, unless I have something more to go on than I do now. You didn't address my last question in my OP...is it possible that the memory management error of the BSOD could be related to the video card's RAM, rather than the system's?

Aarg, I think I've killed it! Now it will no longer power on. I've checked the power cable and it obviously is okay, because there is a green LED lit just below the power connection on the back of the case, and I've checked the cable between the power button and the motherboard. I also looked for a reset button on the power supply and found nothing other than a voltage selector switch. Just in case, I disconnected the power for a little while, but that didn't help. Somewhere my fumble fingers must have tripped over something.

Aarg, I think I've killed it! Now it will no longer power on. I've checked the power cable and it obviously is okay, because there is a green LED lit just below the power connection on the back of the case, and I've checked the cable between the power button and the motherboard. I also looked for a reset button on the power supply and found nothing other than a voltage selector switch. Just in case, I disconnected the power for a little while, but that didn't help. Somewhere my fumble fingers must have tripped over something.
Replace the old RAM back to the slots and restart it again. See if you may able to get your system working back again.

BSOD can be caused by any hardware or software problems and there is high probability that the current BSOD is caused by outdated video card drivers. As I've asked you to provide your full system specs in my Post #2, please provide the same so could I give you the URL where you could download and update the latest video card drive to your system.

Let us know about how it goes!!

There was no BSOD. The machine will not power-on at all. As far as I can tell, the power supply has failed. I've been looking for a replacement, but the only place I've found that offers new PSUs doesn't post a price, and you have to ask for a quote. Therefore either their prices are outrageous or they will only sell wholesale...don't know. I found some on eBay, but they were all either used or refurbished. I've never liked the idea of buying anything refurbished, but with a PSU this seems particularly bad, because they are so simple inside, that there is little that could be replaced, and I suspect that it just means that they are cleaned, inspected and found working. Basically used at a higher price.

Last edited:
You didn't address my last question in my OP...is it possible that the memory management error of the BSOD could be related to the video card's RAM, rather than the system's?

Answer: BSOD can be caused by any hardware or software problems and there is high probability that the current BSOD is caused by outdated video card drivers.

There was no BSOD.
I know that this time you weren't facing any BSOD's and instead, the system has completely fail to start properly. Nevertheless, take your system to any nearby computer repair shop and see if they might able to suggest you regarding sudden system shutdown as well as change the bad PSU.

Thanks, but no one touches a computer of mine, except me.

EDIT: I just realized that my last couple of posts were on the wrong thread, and pertain to a different computer than this thread originally asks about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom