Windows 7 Memory Problem!

Matt Stowell

hi i recently built me a new computer installed everything SaberTooth 990fx R2.0 mobo and 32gb of corsair memory windows 7 64bit everything was working fine till i decided to bios update then after successfully doing soo my computer would not load windows it would say the boot drive is inaccessible and press enter to continue so i did and it said repair windows or start normally either option i chose would just send it back to square one and it was in an endless loop after several failed attempts at getting my usb flash with windows to work on it i turned my computer on and got a black screen of death my computer would turn on but just a black screen so i managed to get it into to bios with direct key on the board and i went to website and downloaded the orignal drivers that were on the mobo before the update put on flash drive and flashed it back with success now when i try to put 32gb of memory into my computer windows crashes goes on an endless loading windows files loop startup repair but if i take out one stick of memory windows will load and ill have no problems so i am currently running my system with 24gb of memory cause if i add a 4th stick my computer will only work for bios and windows wont load any ideas? thanks

Without working on the machine for myself, it's hard to picture possible problems.

The simplest solution would be to clean install Windows after the BIOS update. Seems a default value has changed with different BIOS versions.

It could be something as simple as the Hard Drive mode changing from IDE to AHCI, or vice versa. I know first hand this change will keep Windows from booting.

ok well my mobo currently has the orignal bios it had when i bought it and installed it and it only has 24gb of memory if u put another 8 gb stick windows will not work no matter what i do. i can run windows all day every day right now just fine with 24gb i dont get errors or blue screens just dont understand why adding a stick of memory causes my computer not to work and removing it makes it work.

I was trying to look up your mobo specs and downloads....but apperantly the Asus website is going through some changes and the downloads link usually associated with model of mobo is gone. You have to go to the support tab and input make/model and search. Even doing that it comes up with error for the search. So I'll have to wait and see when Asus has it's website fully functional.

Asus.PNG

Last edited:
I would swap out RAM modules to see if the problem is one specific stick, 32Gb, or the slot.

well i know for a fact the ram is good its only 6 months old and it worked just fine in my last build which is only a year old m5a97 i also took out all my memory and put in another machine and it worked just fine asus tech support said adjust memory voltage and frequency but i dont know what to change to though

well i know for a fact the ram is good its only 6 months old and it worked just fine in my last build which is only a year old m5a97 i also took out all my memory and put in another machine and it worked just fine asus tech support said adjust memory voltage and frequency but i dont know what to change to though
Well, typically RAM is very reliable (and why it is hard to find RAM not warrantied for life). But RAM can still fail - especially if mishandled. ESD can easily damage or destroy high-density integrated circuits like memory modules without the user ever being aware a static discharge occurred.

And RAM can test fine all day, but still fail in real world applications, or when used with other RAM that tested fine all day.

So if me, since your problem appears when in install the 4th stick, you need to test to see if it fails with any stick in the 4th slot, or a particular stick.

asus tech support said adjust memory voltage and frequency
Well that is bad advice unless you are overclocking and he is suggesting your return the settings back to the defaults. And that's good advice. You can simply reset the BIOS by clearing the CMOS. Your motherboard manual will tell you how. Just make sure you immediately boot into the BIOS Setup menu, reset date and time, then Save and Exit to boot normally.

thanks everyone for the replies and help i know what ESD is and i have an anti static mat the memory which might cause the problem i took out and put in a different machine and ran it for 30min and never had one problem i just cleared my cmos and then put back in my 4th stick of memory i got all the way to the windows screen then it flashed a BSOD and restarted soo i took it out and now im running 24gb again and typing this reply thanks i was just curious why its doing this p.s. i dont have any other memory to test in that slot i only have 8 sticks of the same memory :(

Are there any CPU limitations for maxing out the memory on that board? Are there any timing voltages that need to be adjusted for maxing out the RAM.

I don't honestly know its a sabertooth 990fx R2.0 have an fx8350 processor and I'm not sure what settings to change and to what I would change them to I know this for a fact that I had my system running perfectly fine with 32gb of memory all 4 sticks then I updated the bios cause I thought
It was a good idea and that's when everything went wrong my computer stopped working I got BSOD so I went and downloaded the orginal bios that was on it before I updated and now everything works fine but I can't have 32gb of memory or all 4 slots in otherwisindows don't work

Back