Memory Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by 235301, Nov 3, 2009.

1. 235301

235301 New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    I have been running into an issue lately with the following symptoms:

-I get a low memory error message frequently even though I am not anywhere near using all my RAM. Typically I will have 1.3-1.5GB allocated and my system has 2GB of RAM.
    -Initially after bootup in the task manager my Physical memory shows cached+available~2GB which I believe is correct. However, after running for awhile doing some fairly substantial tasks on the system cached+available gets much closer to 1GB and hence my thoughts that this might be the source of the low memory error message. I also see the hard drive hashing away under these circumstances. Also, the Free memory is close to zero under these circumstances.
    -I ran the memory diagnostic tool and it is showing no errors.
    -I had a couple of odd instances a couple of weeks ago running Firefox/Silverlight video streaming where my screen became all scrambled and I had to reboot. I saw it twice and I haven't seen it since then(I've avoided running anything silverlight related under Firefox since then).

My thoughts are perhaps it's a memory problem on the machine but I wanted to see if anyone had other thoughts since it has passed all the memory tests.

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Aug 28, 2007
    To test your RAM properly (the windows diagnostic test just isn't good enough) then the industry standard is this app: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Follow the onscreen instructions and only test one stick at a time..