Windows 7 MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Blue Screen in Vista

L

LordVader

I am having a very annoying issue where I get a blue screen every so often in Windows Vista. Sometimes its after I close out a program, but it seems to happen at any time at least once every 2 days of heavy computer use. The blue screen will post MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and the computer will then completely restart. The last time this happened was about 20 minutes ago when I applied a new screen saver. As soon as I hit the APPLY button I got the blue screen.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this or what I can do to solve?

same problem.

i was getting a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message on blue screens about once every hour or 2.... then i updated my bios... and as soon as windows started up i got a blue screen with the error MEMORY_MANAGEMENT..... really starting to irritate me lol...

Re:

Hello,

I am from Romania and i'm not as good at spelling english as speaking...
The Memory_Management blue screen error that you have is a RAM problem.
I had this proplem and it ocoured often but I fixed it with a simple solutin: well ia have 3 banks of RAM on my notherboard and 2 Ram modules (2x512mb) so placed one module in the firs bank and the seond module of Ram in the third bank, leaving the middle bank empty. I never saw the blue screen again.

If you have the same situation , do what I did.
If you have only one module and at least two banks, try switching it's place.
If you have the same no. of modules and banks, try switching betwen then.

If none of this works try exchangeing Ram with a friend. If the problem continues your motherboard is not compatibile with the RAM or it has a defect.

Hope it works ...

Re:

Hello,

I am from Romania and i'm not as good at spelling english as speaking...
The Memory_Management blue screen error that you have is a RAM problem.
I had this proplem and it ocoured often but I fixed it with a simple solutin: well ia have 3 banks of RAM on my notherboard and 2 Ram modules (2x512mb) so placed one module in the firs bank and the seond module of Ram in the third bank, leaving the middle bank empty. I never saw the blue screen again.

If you have the same situation , do what I did.
If you have only one module and at least two banks, try switching it's place.
If you have the same no. of modules and banks, try switching betwen then.

If none of this works try exchangeing Ram with a friend. If the problem continues your motherboard is not compatibile with the RAM or it has a defect.

Hope it works ...
could you please tell me how to place module's in other bank's so i could try your theory as it's the only one i can foolow. thankyou.

Hi johnoh,

there's a couple of ways you could test your memory. You do the above (I'll explain how shortly) or you could try using memtest, this is a free utility which does what it says.. A guide to using memtest and download is here:
Tutorial: How to use Memtest - TechSpot OpenBoards

The method posted by Asta assumes you have two sticks of RAM one of which may be faulty. To determine which, involves just using one stick at a time and trying to replicate the fault. If the error happens with one stick and not the other then you know which stick is the bad one.

Hi,

I've got the same problem now, it started on my pc after i installed my new graphics card. I got the following messages: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. This blue-screen moves fast, but i can read something like, Disable cache or shadowing in BIOS????? Anyone knows what this means i can't find it in the BIOS anywhere.

I think it has more to do with my Graphics Card driver, because it says that the driver doesn't work well, and my all my Graphics are rubbish after a blue screen error.

Sorry for incorrect spelling i'm Dutch and new to this forum.

Bye

Hi Dangster, try a different graphics driver and see if that makes a difference.

Hi Kemical,

I just tryed, i tryed WQL and Beta versions, no change in blue-screens, alot of change in FPS in Call of Duty 4 :p. Still got errors, just started changing ram-modules. No crashes till now. I can't believe it could be my memory modules, there not even 4 months old and never oc'ed. Never had problems in the beginning.

Corsair QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF Dominator 4096 MB, PC8500, 1066 MHz, 5, Kit Of 4

Do you know anything i can try???

Thanks so far...

Hi Dangster

Hmm...
you say that this only started happening 'after' you installed a graphics card?
It could be the card is at fault.
Could you please list your machine spec including PSU, mobo ect...

To fully test your RAM you could try the 'memtest' utility I included on a previous post in this thread

In my case, the fault was with the memory, memtest found a bad stick, I pulled it, problem went away.

Well guys.....long story,

First all the specs:

Asus p5k Premium
Intel E6850
Corsair xms2-8500 4096mb Dominator at 5-5-5-15 running at 1066mhz.
Seagate barracuda 250gb 7200rpm
Msi 8800gt 512mb OC edition.
All Zallman cooled

The parts purchased at November 2007 exept for graphics card (no money then :p)
System was stable not oc'ed yet, needed new graphics card and HD's.
Then i bought the MSI 8800gt and installed it with the latest WQL nvidia driver.(Januari 2008)
Last 3 weeks i get sporadic blue-screen, first once a week, until today it was constantly crashing.

-Tried different Graphic card drivers, nothing helped.
-Tried running memtest, crashed over and over again.
-Tried starting up with 1 ram module, then 2, then 3 and finally found "a"problem.

At this moment my system is stable with 3 ram modules, as soon if i put the last one in (broken one): not starting up, or damaging nvidia driver, or after loading windows blue screen.

Three things stay unclear to me:

- How could a broken ram module affect my gpu drivers?
- How can 1 ram module break from a matched pair, normally both would break?
- How can my 3month old ram break, it even has an cooler from Corsair en never oc'ed them???
They give 10years warranty on this set.

Sorry for the long story guys...
Do you have any clue??

thanks guys and goodnight

Danny

Hi Dangster,

glad to see you found the problem. Memory problems can be so frustrating as they throw up all sorts of faults which give you 'Red Herrings' as to what the problem actually is.. To answer some of your questions though:

How could a broken ram module affect my gpu drivers?
Even though cards now have their own memory, your 'normal' RAM will still be used when your playing games, your pc has been trying to store Data in a part of your RAM which has somehow broken down, hence the blue screen.

How can 1 ram module break from a matched pair, normally both would break?
What the manufacturers mean by matched pairs are sticks of RAM that have been tested to see what speed they will attain, sticks that run at either equal speeds or are close together will be paired.

How can my 3month old ram break, it even has an cooler from Corsair en never oc'ed them???
I'm afraid it's just a case of being unlucky. Your obviously not frying the RAM yourself, it's just that this one gave out early, very frustrating but there we are. Usually it's rare event thats why they get a warranty :)

Personally whenever I get something odd happening with my machine my first thought is usually 'Is it the RAM'. Some of the problems it throws up can be quite bizarre with no set pattern, very frustrating but with experience you soon start to get an idea that it may be the RAM gremlin...

Hi Kemical,

It sure was frustrating, so i'm gonna send the ram modules RMA to the shop where i bought them. Hopefully i get a fresh new set :p, only little bit scared now to oc them.

Thanks for all your help, i will let u know how it works out.
See you around the forum

Greets

Danny

Hi Dangsta,
hope the RMA doesn't take too long.. As for overclocking the RAM, as long as you don't apply too much extra voltage you'll be ok. Most dimms run from 1.8 to 2.00 vdimm and you can push RAM further with extra voltage but this is when heat starts to become a problem so your better off buying higher spec RAM and keeping the voltage in the normal range.

I have the same problem in Vista32bits.
BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT with PAGE_NOT_ZERO when
running with 4GB ram = 2xdual channel kits Corsair XMS2 C4 which are in fact 4x1GB modules. If I run vista with any of 2x1gb pairs on any dual channel slots anything works fine. The BSOD occurs after around 2 minutes of using Vista.

My specs are :
Intel E8200
Gigabyte Intel G33 chipset (bios up to date )
2xdual channel kits Corsair XMS2 C4 = 4x1GB sticks.
8800 gt
hdd seagate baracuda
power source : chieftec 550W(real)

latest nvidia drivers
latest intel chipset drivers
vista up to date (including the kb fix that adrreses MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error when installing vista)

The BSOD occurs both with SPD (1.8V 5-5-5-...) and factory memory timings (2.1v 4-4-4...) , with frequencies of 667MHz and 800Mhz(native). In any memory configuration memtestx86 and vista memtest reports no errors but vista still BSODs.

I think that the problem is that are used 4x1GB modules or 4GB ram and Vista doesn't like this or some other driver (forceware) doesn't like this. Vista does support native 3GB so I am sorry to inform you that your problem might not be solved.

If anyone has a solution or any link please help us

Thank you in advance

HI,

Well that's not entirely true. Because now its running 3gb and even if i replace the fourth module with one that's in there now, i get an instant error.
And Vista will support 4gb or ram as long as you are using Vista 64bit.

And for the drivers i can only say, i used the same nvidia driver on my new 8800 as on my old 8800. And everything worked fine at first...

I'm sure that in my case one of my RAM-modules broke, and finally i know wich one :p

Greetz and goodluck

HI,

Well that's not entirely true. Because now its running 3gb and even if i replace the fourth module with one that's in there now, i get an instant error.
And Vista will support 4gb or ram as long as you are using Vista 64bit.

And for the drivers i can only say, i used the same nvidia driver on my new 8800 as on my old 8800. And everything worked fine at first...

I'm sure that in my case one of my RAM-modules broke, and finally i know wich one :p

Greetz and goodluck

I hope your problem will be solved . I will do more demanding memory tests to see if any error occurs. If somehow I manage to make it stable with 4x1GB sticks I will post the problem that caused the BSODs and the solution.

P.S. I was reffering to vista 32bits. Best wishes ;).

Back