Message says my Control key is being held down

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by sandyocean, Nov 17, 2012.

1. sandyocean

sandyocean Senior Member

This problem starts in Windows Live Mail, but when that happens and I then go to do a Word Doc, I also encounter a similar problem in there. Normally Word is fin. Only have a problem in Word after it starts up in Live Mail.

Often while composing a new message in Live Mail, it is suddenly unusable. It happens often. The message offered when I encounter trouble in Word is....Your Control key is being held down. It isn't.. or not in any way I know. How can I fix this pease? I have to turn the computer completely off and restart to get it back to normal again.

2. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

1. Is it a desktop or laptop keyboard? How old is your keyboard?
    2. Try with a different keyboard. If that helps, your keyboard is not good.
    3. Do you have more than one language on the computer?
    4. When this happens, give a quick double click to both the control keys (one at a time). If this helps, it doesn't mean the keyboard is bad so just tell us that this is what helped and we'll take it from there.

3. sandyocean

sandyocean Senior Member

Laptop, Toshiba,top range, 6 months old, exc condition, one language.
    As soon as it does it again, I will try doing what you suggest. Will get back with the answer. Thank you.

4. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

Try with an external keyboard.

5. sandyocean

sandyocean Senior Member

That worked. Thanks. I hit both control keys twice, one after the other. So not sure which one did it.
    It shouldn't be happening in the first place but at least now I can handle it without having to switch the laptop off.

6. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

You should know that you won't find that solution anywhere on the net because it's my own made up solution that I came up with a few years ago. Maybe I should sell it... :)