Windows 8 Metro UI Invisible

djcasey

Have just installed Windows 8 developer preview (64 bit) on my laptop. For some reason the metro UI (block interface) is completely invisible - I can launch apps by clicking on the seemingly empty screen. I can search for apps by typing just fine, but the main block interface just won't display. Any thoughts?

Have just installed Windows 8 developer preview (64 bit) on my laptop. For some reason the metro UI (block interface) is completely invisible - I can launch apps by clicking on the seemingly empty screen. I can search for apps by typing just fine, but the main block interface just won't display. Any thoughts?

If you have screen resolution below 1024x600 it might not work. If you have then try to update the Display drivers.

I had a similar issue on both of my 64 bit machines. The solution on one was to reinstall windows 8 using the developers build that had the tools in it and the other one was to use an nvidia beta display driver!!!

As it turns out this issue only occurs if I log in with a windows live ID. When I switched to using a local user the problem went away.

I do not see this problem even when logging into Win 8 using my Live ID credentials. Everything seems to work as predicted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it makes a difference if you set up Win 8 using the Live sign-in or the user sign-in option?

Bit late now, but just a thought.I have both. One with the Metro, one without. (Live sign in) It is fairly quick to switch users. I suggest that the OP's problem is that he may not have set up the screens, in particular the resolution, identically? Have another look at you "Personalisation" in the Live log on.

I love that word "Theoretically". I think we'll see that a lot in this forum.:devilish: (before Win-8 finally meets the street)

Live ID? Ya gotta be kidding! Stuff like that completely defies my montra "K.I.S.S."
Y'all know what that means, Right?

I've got my Win-8 startup desktop, looking so much like my XP desktop, it's eerie. But this is the season for 'eerie'.
I even have my XP Solitaire transplanted to it. It's feeling more like home all the time.

Now, if I could just get AVG 2012 to install, I'd be in like a fat rat in a cheese factory.
I know, some have said that it installed for them, but it won't install for me. I'm using build 8102, 64 bit.

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor :cool:

I've been using the default Windows Defender that comes installed with Win 8 DP (MSE in Win 7). Has been working very well for me. "Theoretically" any AV that works in Win 7 should work in Win 8 DP, but since this is a far from complete OS There may be some things that "Theory" does not seem to apply. I have started installing apps I have in Win 7 into this OS. Quicken 2011 works just fine. I point to my data file on my data partition and open the file easily. I don't even have to worry about synchronizing the files since they are the same file.

But enough of apps. That belongs in a different forum from Start Screen and Desktop.

I did try to set up a second user to have one user with Metro UI and one without the Metro UI. This worked fine except that the default tiles in the Metro UI would not activate anything. They just did not work. Since I like the Desktop UI much better anyway I deleted the second user (I set it up twice, once with the 2nd user as an Administrator, and once with the 2nd user as a limited user. Tiles did not work with either. I even tried to undo Method 2 to see if this would fix the tiles problem, but no go.)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Y'all know what that means, Right"

I don't, pardon me. I have a live id, which I need for several other purposes. I have a live ID signin and an Adminstrator signing in Windows 8.

"Y'all know what that means, Right"

I don't, pardon me. I have a live id, which I need for several other purposes. I have a live ID signin and an Adminstrator signing in Windows 8.
Hey Dave;
How's it going today.
I believe that he is referencing K.I.S.S. ( an acronym / initialism / neumonic / whatever) for "Keep It Simple Stupid". Evidently he feels that using a Live ID sign in, somehow doesn't. I on the other hand am still hoping that it will help facilitate additional features and support a single sign in for things like their cloud products (Office Live /365, Sky Drive access, App Store, etc.,)
Just my interpretation.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom