Windows Vista Mic/Earphone Issues

Yeagger

About a year and a half ago, I bought my current computer (a Gateway running Vista; the side says "GT5662", so I assume that is the model). I spent two or three weeks installing programs, uninstalling some of the programs it shipped with and altering settings.

Now, I'm not computer savvy. I had never owned a mic prior to getting this computer (I bought the mic so playing Steam games would be easier). I had been getting complaints on the server about my mic being too loud or too soft. I now realize it was due to the low quality of my mic, and the fact that the placement was nuts.

Vista came with some program (I unfortunately do not remember the name, but it had a yellow-orange icon and controlled everything audio, including mic and earphones), and I had never noticed it prior. Having only owned XP before, I assumed it was just a controlling device - something convenient so I didn't need to go anywhere else.

So, I uninstalled it (assuming it was the source of my mic issues). Since then, my mic and earphones have not worked, but my speakers have continued to work.

This was 18 months ago. About two months after it happened, I contacted tech support (gave up on fixing it myself) and I was told to reboot to a save prior to my problem. The save had been deleted. I cannot completely restore my computer to factory settings, as I have too much installed on it that would be loss.

Can it be fixed easily?

Check your sound properties (see attached screenshot) and make sure everything is ticked and enabled

Check your sound properties (see attached screenshot) and make sure everything is ticked and enabled

I've done that, hasn't fixed much. :(

When I plug my earphones in and press "test" I can hear the test-sound, but I can't hear any other sounds on my computer and I can't hear my music.

Those are the Audio Drivers your GT5662 uses. You might have to system restore or factory (Like New) restore to recapture any deleted programs. Check with Gateway 1-800-369-1409
Link Removed due to 404 Error (I know that Gateway uses Plantronic Audio Headsets as a supplier)

Three main Internet Supply Companies: Battery BTI Tech, Shop By System, Tiger Direct.com (Try under speech recognition, click set up a mic and see what happens......) If you try out several mics and everything is working correctly there's a strong possibility that your mic jack needs to be repaired. Do your current microphones take any driver downloads?, maybe the driver is corrupted.

I've done that, hasn't fixed much. :(

When I plug my earphones in and press "test" I can hear the test-sound, but I can't hear any other sounds on my computer and I can't hear my music.
Hmmm.......Ok.
Try rolling back the driver and seeing if that helps You can do this via the device manager by right-clicking on your sound device, choosing properties and then drivers.

Back
Top Bottom