Windows 7 Microphone Boosts

mysticmuffin

Hello,

I am on Windows 7 and I use my Microphone for many reasons, such as Skype, video recording ect.. but for some reason every one of my microphones have been extremely quiet.

My friends haven't moaned as they are not like that, but I know that it's annoying that I cannot be heard.

I go into the sound properties ect, onto the levels tab like I have read in many other threads, but I don't have 2 sliders (One volume, one boost) I only have the volume slider.

Is that any way to get the booster slider there? It's really quite annoying.

I hope someone can help

Thanks
~Mystic.

You sound like you have tried other microphones, so it is probably something in the driver or mixer causing the problem. If you do not have the Boost option, I would think it might be a driver.

When you have the microphone plugged in, you do not show the controls indicated in the attachment? Are you sure you are using the correct port?

There are check boxes that indicate the ability for an application to take full control of a device. If that works the way it sounds, perhaps Skype has some microphone adjustment utility.

Attachments

• Audio2.GIF
    Audio2.GIF
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,434
You sound like you have tried other microphones, so it is probably something in the driver or mixer causing the problem. If you do not have the Boost option, I would think it might be a driver.

When you have the microphone plugged in, you do not show the controls indicated in the attachment? Are you sure you are using the correct port?

There are check boxes that indicate the ability for an application to take full control of a device. If that works the way it sounds, perhaps Skype has some microphone adjustment utility.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have looked at your attachment, and my setup looks exactly the same, the only difference is that instead of seeing the booster section underneath the volume slider, it's blank. (Just see the background)

I am using the port on my Motherboard, the (Pink?) jack slot and that's the one I've always used.

I have checked the "take full control" box so that I could use the Skype volume control, yet it seems to be that when I put Skype on the max possible volume, it's just the same as the max volume when out of Skype.

All I could suggest is that you look for new drivers. If you give us the device information, such as your motherboard or device manufacturer, perhaps we can help. If it is a Realtek system, go to their site. If it is a motherboard, look there for audio drivers, and if it is a system manufacturer, look there or a specific device site.

All I could suggest is that you look for new drivers. If you give us the device information, such as your motherboard or device manufacturer, perhaps we can help. If it is a Realtek system, go to their site. If it is a motherboard, look there for audio drivers, and if it is a system manufacturer, look there or a specific device site.

Hello,

My Motherboard is an AMD Athlon II X4 620 (I think that's all you need?)
My Microphone is a Creative HS-390.
I have also tried some expensive microphones, and £1 microphones to see whether there is a difference, but it's all the same.

Sorry about all this, but I'm not very smart with computers. :/

Thanks.
~Mystic.

You gave us the processor, not the motherboard. Did you buy this system from a manufacturer? If so, maybe the model number would help.

Otherwise, hit Winkey + R, and type in msinfo32.exe and click OK.

Go to the Components section and Sound Device. After it refreshes, it should list your sound devices, and there may be more than one. Let us know what those are along with the driver info. If you prefer, you could take a snipping tool picture and attach using the paperclip.

You gave us the processor, not the motherboard. Did you buy this system from a manufacturer? If so, maybe the model number would help.

Otherwise, hit Winkey + R, and type in msinfo32.exe and click OK.

Go to the Components section and Sound Device. After it refreshes, it should list your sound devices, and there may be more than one. Let us know what those are along with the driver info. If you prefer, you could take a snipping tool picture and attach using the paperclip.

Ah, I'm sorry I'm not too good with PC's. I shall just grab the picture for you now.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Hope this is okay, sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks
~Mystic.

As best as I can determine for the information in that image you've got yourself a VIA High Definition Audio Device
I think you'll find a suitable driver here VIA Drivers Download - VIA Technologies, Inc.
Supports most of the common VIA chipsets as well as Windows 7 32 and 64 bit.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

EDIT: When you go to that link (unfortunately) you'll need to select
Microsoft Windows
Windows 7 64-Bit
Audio
VIA HD Audio Codecs VT2010, VT2002P, VT2020S

Last edited:
As best as I can determine for the information in that image you've got yourself a VIA High Definition Audio Device
I think you'll find a suitable driver here VIA Drivers Download - VIA Technologies, Inc.
Supports most of the common VIA chipsets as well as Windows 7 32 and 64 bit.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

EDIT: When you go to that link (unfortunately) you'll need to select
Microsoft Windows
Windows 7 64-Bit
Audio
VIA HD Audio Codecs VT2010, VT2002P, VT2020S

Hello,
Thank you very much for the link.

I have downloaded the RaR file, and extracted it to my desktop, but I was wondering where abouts I had to put the folder?

Many thanks
~Mystic.

it should have come down as v8700a_20100923.zip.
Just put it into a new folder on your desktop, use 7zip or whatever you prefer to extract it in place which should produce a folder v8700a_20100923 which contains a file called SETUP.EXE just double click it.

it should have come down as v8700a_20100923.zip.
Just put it into a new folder on your desktop, use 7zip or whatever you prefer to extract it in place which should produce a folder v8700a_20100923 which contains a file called SETUP.EXE just double click it.

Many thanks for all your help, but unfortunately even after running the SETUP and restarting the computer, I still do not have a Booster bar on my sound options. :/

Really confused about why it's not showing up.

~Mystic.

Unfortunately I don't have a VIA chipset to test, but did the installation of the driver software package add a VIA HD Audio utility icon in the Windows Control Panel. If so you may want to launch that just to see if it has a Mic Boost option built into it.
It may not be obvious as in the picture I've attached from my own Realtek HD Audio Manager, but it's an added icon to the right of the Recording Volume slider and to the right of the mute button, I just click it and it brings up the Mic Boost slider. See attached.

Unfortunately I don't have a VIA chipset to test, but did the installation of the driver software package add a VIA HD Audio utility icon in the Windows Control Panel. If so you may want to launch that just to see if it has a Mic Boost option built into it.
It may not be obvious as in the picture I've attached from my own Realtek HD Audio Manager, but it's an added icon to the right of the Recording Volume slider and to the right of the mute button, I just click it and it brings up the Mic Boost slider. See attached.

Hmm, I did have this new addition to my sound options in Control Pannel, but it seems that there still isn't a boosting option on it, unless I'm completely blind. (Which wouldn't be the first time)

See Attached:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

~Mystic

Who knows, you might have to just start clicking around, maybe expert mode bottom left or one of those other two icons looks like tools and something else. Otherwise I'm out of ideas. I was kinda hoping that another member with similar hardware would have joined the thread by now with some insight regarding the issue.

Back