Microsoft Security Essentials problem.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Saltgrass, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I am currently trying to determine if MSE is having a problem that Microsoft is not addressing.

If you check the Event Viewer and show a SxS error or a Microsoft Anti-malware error, it might be caused by a problem with MseSysPrep.DLL.

It seems running the Scheduled Task related to Application Experience will show a problem with MSESysPrep.dll. Many folks are showing the error and I am having a problem with the MSE real time protection shutting down because of "updates".

I do not feel shutting down the real time protection for MSE updates is appropriate, so I will be watching to see if Microsoft addresses the problem.

Anyone see anything related to the problem?

2. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Saltgrass. Sorry, fwiw. I have my updates as "Check for updates but...." etc., This includes MSE updates. I automatically say yes to them and have never experienced your error.
    But, after reading your post, I browsed a little and I see that the suggested cause of this is running more than one security service and causing a confliction??
    Also, one remedy appears to be running your cleaner (Ccleaner preferred) in safe mode.

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

This is not really an Update problem, or at least I don't think it is.. When the ProgramDataUpdater Task runs the Side by Side error is generated.

The task is in Task Scheduler, under Library, Microsoft, Windows, Application Experience. I have not yet determined if this error is related to the Real Time protection shutting down, but still investigating. The Real Time error might just be a temporary situation that corrects itself. I just see the errors in the Event Viewer.

This has been going on for quite a while, so there is probably no hurry in solving it. Just trying to understand what is causing it. I am only running MSE.

Thanks