Windows 7 Missing bootmgr

Azraeel

Hi i installed win7 ok. But whenever i boot up and the win disk isnt in the dvd drive i get a Missing bootmgr message and told to restart.

If the disk is in, it boots ok.

Any thoughts

If you have two hard drives get into the Bios and change the drive to the one that Windows 7 is installed on

Make it the first boot device.

The bootmanager will be located on the Windows 7 drive

If you have two hard drives get into the Bios and change the drive to the one that Windows 7 is installed on

Make it the first boot device.

The bootmanager will be located on the Windows 7 drive

Windows 7 is installed on a sata drive and that has boot priority. I have another ide drive that have no OS on it, but thats not even showing up in my computer.

I did a clean install with win7 after formating the sata drive, but it creating a 100mb partition and called it system reserve. Can i delete that?

No, do not delete the System Reserved partition.

Hit F2 to get to the boot menu and see if you can make a change here.

Tried boot repair, diddent help.

The other drive i said win7 wasent showing, its their in bios so why?

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management window - otherwise everyone is guessing.

You can still boot from the install disk.... do that and go to the command prompt. Type and enter these three commands and reboot.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Sorry im 1 day in to win7, where the disk management window?

Hi,

Type disk management in Start search - click Create and Format hard disk partitions.

In a few seconds - a window pops up. Maximize the window. Click View>Customize. Untick the Console tree and Action pane - to get a clearer view.

Are you absolutely certain Windows 7 is instlled on the C: drive.

As SIW2 says, a screen shot would help us out.

missing bootmgr in Win 7

I have encountered the same problem. A power loss after installing left me with no bootmgr. ABlount's suggested fix results in a "bootrec is not recognized as an internal or external command...". Bcdedit [recommended elsewhere] is in /windows/system32 but gives an "access denied" error [I am the only user and am administrator]. A compete reinstall [including reformatting C:] does not resolve the problem nor does the Repair option during install fix the problem. As long as the W7 install dvd is in the drive, W7 starts. Whenever the install dvd is NOT in the drive I get the bootmgr missing error. A look around the internet has left me with no answer.

This is a new build using W7HomePremium. Two drives both formatted [during the install of W7] with W7 installed on C: [disk 0, partition 1]. First boot device is the dvd drive, second boot device is C:. D: is empty.

Please post a Screenshot of Disk Management window.

BTW - bootrec is not on your HD -it is only available in the recovery environment by booting dvd to system recovery options command prompt.

You can only access bcdedit by using an elevated command prompt ( rt click cmd and Run as Admin)

Last edited:
Isn't that weird. Ask someone to post a screenshot - so you can help - they just disappear.

Isn't that weird. Ask someone to post a screenshot - so you can help - they just disappear.

They sometimes don't check back for a few days. If they signed up for email notification they probably didn't use an email address they check often... or a notification could have gone into a junk folder.

LOL. Yes, i know - I still find it a bit rude.

Maybe I'm spoilt - on another Forum I frequent - people stay around - and keep at it.

Yeah.. you always wonder if they fixed it.. and even more anoying to me is when several people are trying to help a guy and he posts something like ..yeah that fixed it. And we don't have a clue as to which method worked.

Quite snippy aren't we? I had to go to bed and am now at work whereas my W7 computer is at home. I did try the bootrec suggestion once it was pointed out that that it is only on the install dvd. That did not work. I'll have to recreate that and post the exact result. Did not try bcdedit. I haven't sent a screen shot since I was tired and not in a good mood. One would think that a clean install on a freshly formatted drive would recreate bootmgr. Why doesn't it? Seems a peculiarly dumb thing even for Bill Baby. I've another unused drive so may install that and see what happens. Maybe do do that you have to format the drive NOT using format in install. The screen shot will only show that C: is the boot drive and that D: is empty Both are healthy and working. But when I get home I will send it.

Hi,

You might be surprised what the Disk Management screenie will reveal .

It usually results in the solution.

Look forward to seeing it.

Missing drive sorted, i needed to assign it a letter. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom