Windows 7 Missing Icons

rjk

Lately when my windows 7 starts up my icons are missing on desktop and i have to go to properties and click View-->Show desktop icons.
again this has only happened recently, but is everytime i start my computer. I dont know if this is caused by an update or what, is there a
way to correct this to where i dont have to recheck Show destop icons.
thank you

Which "Propertes" are you selecting? - I'm a bit lost there.
But maybe this is what you are seeking.
Right click the desktop - Personalize.
Over in the right side window - Change desktop icons.
Make sure you have those you need ticked.

Lately when my windows 7 starts up my icons are missing on desktop and i have to go to properties and click View-->Show desktop icons.
again this has only happened recently, but is everytime i start my computer. I dont know if this is caused by an update or what, is there a
way to correct this to where i dont have to recheck Show destop icons.
thank you

I fixed a similar problem by creating a new account and copying everything over to the new account. The icons came back and stayed when I logged into the new account.

RAK, I think RJK is refering to right click desktop>view>show desktop icons.
If I'm reading his post correctly he is saying that everytime he boots his desktop icons are hidden
and he has to click show desktop icons everytime.
Try busydog's suggestion, though it would be nice to know why your present profile is misbehaving.

First off thanks for the quick responses guys, fjgold is correct in the problem i'm having and what i have to do to correct it each time i boot.
i followed RAK's suggestion and made sure the boxes were checked. Not entirely sure how to copy my settings to a new account as busydog
has suggested, the only account i have is the default admin account. This is an upgrade from Vista. Again thanks guys for your assistance.

First off thanks for the quick responses guys, fjgold is correct in the problem i'm having and what i have to do to correct it each time i boot.
i followed RAK's suggestion and made sure the boxes were checked. Not entirely sure how to copy my settings to a new account as busydog
has suggested, the only account i have is the default admin account. This is an upgrade from Vista. Again thanks guys for your assistance.

Create another administrator account in control panel. In windows explorer open both accounts (separate windows) and copy users/account#1 to users/account#2 (all sub folders). That simple! Then select the account#2 at boot.

Busydog's suggestion seem's to have done the trick, made the second account and logged on to it several times and icons are showing up each time. Thanks again

This is an upgrade from Vista. Again thanks guys for your assistance.
If you mean by this statement that you performed an in place upgrade then
that could have been the cause of your problem.
It is generally recommended here that a "clean install" is preferred over an in place upgrade to prevent
weird behavior like this.

Back
Top Bottom