Windows 7 modem/router

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Belkin told the following will work but my trust is here.
I run my isp cable to my modem>router> desktop and the laptop is connected wirelessly.
I am going to visit a friend with the same isp -
Can I use the same setup at her house(using my passsphrase) or should I run the ethernet cable directly from her modem to my router then to the laptop and not involve her desktop as I do at home?
Thank you
Peter

Your options as to how you will be able to connect are going to be determined based on what equipment she has in place.
If she has a wireless network, then you should be able to connect, but of course not with your passphrase, she will need to provide you with the security phrase in order to connect.
And
Depending on what her ISP has provided in the way of an applicance will determine what you can connect to her modem. Most ISP's provide any number of appliances, so you will need to know if her "modem" is identical to yours or not, if so and she does not also have her own router in place, then assuming she will allow you to do it, you should be able to plug in your router the same as at home but you will likely have to power cycle the modem as well as possibly if required (some DSL providers) enter the appropriate username and password for the WAN side connection to work.
If she has her own router (non-wireless) in place just plug into that with a cat5 cable and you should be fine.

I should have given you the appropriate information so you could have had a better picture of what is in place -sorry.
She has Comcast, as I said, and has just a modem going to her desktop pc.
In the past(with xp and my old router) I was able, after power cycling, to get interent.
I have the new router and have Win7 x 64 this time.
I plan toconnect the ethernet cable from her modem to my router and router to my laptop.
We will all use my laptop. This is about as simplified as I can make it.
Thank you for the power cycling idea which had slipped my mind.
Peter

That was my principal concern. ISPs, like ComCast/Xfinity use different appliances (Motorola and Arris single cat5 connection) but have also been known to install SMC8014W-Gs (just ran into one yesterday on a help call), which are wireless gateway routers, probably very similar to the one you are already using. Each provider (ISP) is slightly different in what equipment they install where and why.
So assuming what you have told me, then you should be able to employ your router in much the same fashion as you do at home and yes you will need to power cycle both, bring the ISP device up first and then your router, and then you should be able to use any number of computers to connect simultaneously depending on the number of physical ports (wired) on your router and of course many more wirelessly.
Thanks for the followup
Regards
Randy

Back