Windows 7 Monitor turns off when booting. Comes on after sleep mode.

BtchnCamaro

I performed a new 32-bit install of Windows 7. For some reason, the monitor shuts off when windows starts. I found that after Windows boots, if I hit the "sleep" button on my keyboard, allow the computer to sleep, then wake the computer, the monitor turns on and everything is fine. Why would they force a person to put the PC into sleep mode every time the PC is booted?

I have a PC with a Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H motherboard (AMD 690G chipset). I'm using the integrated graphics and I removed everything from the PC except for the drives, monitor, and mouse.

I updated the BIOS with the most recent version. There doesn't seem to be a windows 7 AMD/ATI driver for the chipset. I don't get it. The PC is clearly capable of working with Windows 7, so why would the monitor shut off when booting up?

Have you gone through the bios settings and checked for options for onboard video or other?

Anything in the bios power settings about putting the monitor to sleep?

Do you have the bios set to PnP OS or not? You might try changing that to see if it helps.

Are all the connections for the monitor good? And don't reinstall with power on.

Have you run an Performance Index test and what does the video show?

Last edited:
found the fix

I tried messing with all of the available power-saving related bios settings with no success.

Three days after posting my issue, I googled the issue again and the third entry brought me to my original post. This might be a rare problem.

I thought that my monitor might be causing the issue since I purchased it in 1999. It is a LG Studioworks 995E. It has been a great monitor. So, I brought the newer LCD from upstairs and plugged it in. Windows started up without any issues. The monitor turned on and stayed on. It might be time to break down and buy a monitor from this decade.

Thanks for the info, it helps us when posters tell us when they find solutions to their problems.

your not alone!! I have a studioworks 995E as well and I am having the same problem. I can start up in safe mode and my monitor works but if I boot up in normal mode it just shuts off. Again, like you I plugged in a different monitor (CTR) and that one worked fine. Any help would be great!!! I do NOT want to buy a LCD monitor because I play games.

Monitor turns off when booting. Comes on After sleep Mode

I performed a new 32-bit install of Windows 7. For some reason, the monitor shuts off when windows starts. I found that after Windows boots, if I hit the "sleep" button on my keyboard, allow the computer to sleep, then wake the computer, the monitor turns on and everything is fine. Why would they force a person to put the PC into sleep mode every time the PC is booted?

I have a PC with a Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H motherboard (AMD 690G chipset). I'm using the integrated graphics and I removed everything from the PC except for the drives, monitor, and mouse.

I updated the BIOS with the most recent version. There doesn't seem to be a windows 7 AMD/ATI driver for the chipset. I don't get it. The PC is clearly capable of working with Windows 7, so why would the monitor shut off when booting up?

I had the same problem, with my Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 2.34 Ghz running with Asus P5Q SE2 Motherboard 4Gig Ram and Nvidia GeForce GT 240 Video Card.
If the power goes off or some other small problems occur the CMOS will default to the Manufacture date. Press Delete or alternate to enter Bios, change Default date for exit and save.
Once into O/S change sleep mode to never and it will not occur again. It is a common faault in Sleep mode. Regards punkah1

Back
Top Bottom