Windows 7 more page file questions...

stevae

following the advice on this board, i moved my page file to a different drive, and since then, whenever i restart win 7, it begins with an error message saying that it made a temp page file because of the conditions at start up.
first, why would it do this, especially when i pointed it to another drive for the page file? second, how do i fix it?

is it impossible to get an answer to this question? for those who were advising to do this, i would think one of you could offer some insight as to why win 7 is acting in this manner.

and just so you understand completely...
i have a laptop with two hard drives in it. i have win vista ultimate on one drive (a), and win 7 ultimate on the other (c). the c: drive also has two other partitions on it, net and downloads on (b) partition, and the recovery partition.
then i have a data partition (d), on the other drive with vista ultimate.

i put the page file for win 7 on data (d) partition, so it would be on another drive.
i put the page file for vista on the net and downloads (b) partition, so it would be on another drive as well.

now, when i restart win 7, i am met with an error message saying that windows has made a temp page file because of errors at startup. first, why is it doing that? and second i would love to know how i can fix it? thanks!

The page file works a lot well on the same hard drive, but on a partition of this same hard drive, but not on a partition of another hard drive. Due to the fact Windows 7 is still in sort of Beta Testing, there is maybe a problem with the pages files.

Put your Vista's Page File on the other partition of the same hard drive.
Then do the same for your Windows 7.

It's never a good thing to cross the page file on other hard drive, primary because both of your hard drives are always talking to each other. So it may causes lag, and with that lag, an OS may not see the page file on the other hard drive in time to boot correctly.

And last thing if you didn't do it yet, create a page file that has the double of your RAM weight (2gb RAM = 4gb Page file). For both OS.

I hope it will help. Keep me aware. ;)

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, but this is exactly the opposite advise that i was given by the mods on this site. they said that you should never put your page file on another partition of the SAME drive, because it will slow it down tremendously. their advise was to put your page file on another drive, so that they work independently of each other, and that would speed everything up. there is an entire thread on this somewhere on this site. that is why i moved it in the first place.

Well, as myself, all the test I've doing about it, it's always to put it on the same drive, it's the same thing on Linux with the swap partition (the page file for linux that create its own partition).

But maybe when I did my test, my score has been affected by margin of error.

Well that's my own advise. But if it started to bug since you switched the page to another partition, it surely a bug coming from this build of Windows 7, cause with XP/Vista, everything work fine. If you are on a build under the 7100 one, I suggest you to do a clean install with a 7100 build that you can download directly and for free from Microsoft's Website.

Microsoft fixed a lot of minor problem with that last build (even if it's still not perfect, at least it's better).

Keep me aware ;)

P.S. Could you put your Computer's Config too please? with what kind of RAM and Hard Drive you have.

i am using a laptop, with 4 gig's of ram, core 2 duo 2.6 processor and two internal 125 gig hard drives. i also have two usb 16 gig usb drives setup with readyboost. and finally i use a 1 terabyte external hard drive.

well I'm a bit confused by all the partitions but isnt the issue that your trying to put your page files for both vista and 7 on the same hard disk? If so that wont work as they will both have the same file name wont they?? or am I not getting what youre trying to do?

Eitherway, performance would be better if your pagefile is on another disk than your OS and program files as you will be reducing head seek

I always thought you were better off to have the PF on the same disk as your OS. Typically what I do when installing an OS on a clean disk is, create a partition at the very start of the disk at 2.5 times your amount of ram (i make mine 20GB as I have 8GB of ram) and name it Win7 swap file. I do all this before installing the OS. Then on the next park of the disk is where I put my OS, and if Im planning to have storage for other data, I create a partition at the end of the drive.

Last edited:
&&whilst I agree a seperate partition for a PF is a good idea so it doesnt fragment as much, I still think you're better off having your PF on a different physical hard disk. This will mean the system is able to read system and programs files from one hard disk whilst still being able to access the PF on the other disk, thus maximising disk throughput and at the same time minimising disk head seek

&&whilst I agree a seperate partition for a PF is a good idea so it doesnt fragment as much, I still think you're better off having your PF on a different physical hard disk. This will mean the system is able to read system and programs files from one hard disk whilst still being able to access the PF on the other disk, thus maximising disk throughput and at the same time minimising disk head seek

Maybe your right there

ok, i have solve part of the crime, that was my pagefile problem. since i was using win 7 the most, the problem didn't start until i went back to vista ult, and put it's page file on the same drive as win 7. today, i went back and checked, and it seems that by doing that, i somehow deleted the page file i had made for win 7, when i made the new one for vista. so i set up a new page file for win 7 today, back on the vista drive, and it all runs perfectly now.
now, who is confused? lol.

Okay, it shouldn't be you config then. What build of Windows 7 do you have?
i am still using an old version, that you guys will think is crazy. i have win 7 ultimate black edition. it is based on the 7077 build. and i don't want to upgrade to the 7100 because i am reading that so many people are having so many problems with different things. and i haven't had any major problems. only little things that i did myself. like screwing up my page file. other than a few little things, this build has run fast as hell, and with out any problems with hardware or software that i use.

i thought about upgrading to 7100 a few times, but after one read of the support forum that notion went out the window. i will probably use this build until the retail version comes out.

Last edited:
Back