Windows 7 Mouse Drivers Causing Windows Explorer Lock Up

V3N0M

I have been having this problem for a little while now and up until yesterday I had no idea what was causing it.

My Problem:
The Windows Explorer (Not IE) will randomly lock up and the only way to fix the problem is to CTRL+Atl+Delete and open the Task Manager. I don't even have to kill anything with the Task Manager, all I have to do is open it.

What Is Causing the Problem:
At first I thought maybe something was wrong with windows. But I swapped my old HDD for and SSHD and the problem was still there. Obviously nothing to do with windows. So I thought maybe it was something I had installed on my computer (which it is).

My mouse drivers are what is causing the problem. I have a Gigabyte M6900 gaming mouse and anytime that is plugged in, windows goes crazy and the explorer freezes when it wants to. I tried uninstalling the drivers and having windows re-install them but that didn't work at all.

Considering just getting a new mouse but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on fixing the problem that maybe I haven't tried yet.

Have you checked the manufacturers site to see if there is a more up-to-date version of the driver, or if this is a known issue?

I did try to find something on their website but the only thing they have available is the software to Macro the buttons that are on it. It is not really a known issue with this mouse in specific, but I did read that other people were having the same problem with mouse drivers. They uninstalled them and plugged it back in and let windows re-install them, that didn't seem to work for me.

No, it just comes up asking to uninstall the drivers and that's it. When I plug the mouse back in it automatically works. It doesn't have to go searching for drivers to install like it usually does when you first plug in a new device.

That means the drivers are included in Windows then. I can't really think of anything else that may fix it. A BIOS update maybe by chance.

I searched it one last time on google and found a forum that gave a link to an updater. The first time it didn't seem to work but I tried it again and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help :)

Back