Mouse Drivers Causing Windows Explorer Lock Up


New Member
I have been having this problem for a little while now and up until yesterday I had no idea what was causing it.

My Problem:
The Windows Explorer (Not IE) will randomly lock up and the only way to fix the problem is to CTRL+Atl+Delete and open the Task Manager. I don't even have to kill anything with the Task Manager, all I have to do is open it.

What Is Causing the Problem:
At first I thought maybe something was wrong with windows. But I swapped my old HDD for and SSHD and the problem was still there. Obviously nothing to do with windows. So I thought maybe it was something I had installed on my computer (which it is).

My mouse drivers are what is causing the problem. I have a Gigabyte M6900 gaming mouse and anytime that is plugged in, windows goes crazy and the explorer freezes when it wants to. I tried uninstalling the drivers and having windows re-install them but that didn't work at all.

Considering just getting a new mouse but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on fixing the problem that maybe I haven't tried yet.


Essential Member
Have you checked the manufacturers site to see if there is a more up-to-date version of the driver, or if this is a known issue?

I did try to find something on their website but the only thing they have available is the software to Macro the buttons that are on it. It is not really a known issue with this mouse in specific, but I did read that other people were having the same problem with mouse drivers. They uninstalled them and plugged it back in and let windows re-install them, that didn't seem to work for me.


Essential Member
Were you presented the option to "delete driver software" when uninstalling the device?

No, it just comes up asking to uninstall the drivers and that's it. When I plug the mouse back in it automatically works. It doesn't have to go searching for drivers to install like it usually does when you first plug in a new device.


Essential Member
That means the drivers are included in Windows then. I can't really think of anything else that may fix it. A BIOS update maybe by chance.

I searched it one last time on google and found a forum that gave a link to an updater. The first time it didn't seem to work but I tried it again and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help :)


Essential Member
Glad you got it sorted.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.