Windows Vista Mouse Stuttering/Sticking?

Bosconian

I have just installed Vista Home Premium on my laptop. This laptop previous had Vista on it but I have re-installed it. The first installation ran fine but this time whenever I move the mouse around it gets stuck occassionally for a second. It is very annoying.

It is not the mouse itself as it works fine on another PC. Also the mouse is nice and smooth on the login screen, it is only once I login that it starts to "stutter".

Any ideas how to solve this?

Hi!!! Well, I'm going to start out with the ordinary.....If your mouse is infrared, maybe surface. Try different surfaces. 2. Wireless- Make sure the receiver for your mouse isn't blocked. 3. You might want to check the mouse to see if it is clean, literally. Remove the ball with a pin or screwdriver clean roller with warm soapy water. thoroughly dry. 4. Check to see Drivers and maybe Batteries are up to snuff. 5. Put a cat next to it-- I like that. And lastly, I'm going to tell you the horror story about the man with the disabled mouse. He apparently was injured by KB938371 a prerequisite for Vista SP1. He can't just get rid of the update and all his mice are dead. Here's the kicker, they developed a work around by disabling the HID-Compliant-Input Devices. It may be something to try if nothing fixes the problem perhaps... Link Removed - Invalid URL (Read Page Two) For people reading this thread, the update for Christopher Miller's problem is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941996/

I have just installed Vista Home Premium on my laptop. This laptop previous had Vista on it but I have re-installed it. The first installation ran fine but this time whenever I move the mouse around it gets stuck occassionally for a second. It is very annoying.

It is not the mouse itself as it works fine on another PC. Also the mouse is nice and smooth on the login screen, it is only once I login that it starts to "stutter".

Any ideas how to solve this?

I'd check the manufacturer's website to see if the mouse is compatible with vista. They may also have some driver updates too..

I solved it thanks. Although Vista installed the correct VGA driver for my card, I installed the one on the Acer (my laptop) drivers page. This fixed the problem.

I solved it thanks. Although Vista installed the correct VGA driver for my card, I installed the one on the Acer (my laptop) drivers page. This fixed the problem.

Glad to see you got it sorted..:D

Back