Moving existing HDD with 7 onto a new MoBo

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by paulhewett, Nov 22, 2009.

1. paulhewett

paulhewett New Member

I am trying to move my existing HHD from a Dell with windows 7 on it to my new MoBo Nvidia 680i.
    Every thing fires up can see everything but windows fails to start, the startup repair utility tries to repair it but to no avail.
    I have used a startup recovery dvd and pointed it at the drivers but they will not load.
    Any suggestions welcome!

Many thanks ,

Paul

2. SIW2

SIW2 New Member

Hi Paul,

When you installed on your fist set of Hardware, Windows installed the drivers for that hardware.

Now you have the HD attached to different hardware ( the mobo) you can't boot.

When you do manage to boot, you will need to reactivate windows - I assume you have a product key which allows that?

If not, ring the free activation hotline and tell them your mobo died and you had to replace it .

They will almost certainly give you a new key.

First problem - get it to boot. Paragon does a great piece of software called Adaptive restore which will do that for you.

Can you attach the HD to another pc - so you can run the Adaptive Restore on it?

It only takes a couple of seconds. Then put the HD back in the machine with the new mobo - it will boot up., loading the drivers as it does.

You can get it free from here free reg key :

http://www.paragon-software.com/registration/vms.html

- just click the download link - :

http://www.paragon-software.com/business/vm/download.html

#2 SIW2, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. tblount

tblount New Member

When you change your motherboard it's like moving your hard drive to a totally different computer. A lot of new hardware, new drivers...etc.

You mayb be able to eventually fix it but it will run MUCH better if you backup and do a clean install.
    You would be better off getting a new hard drive... a two tb drive is now just $115 .. about 5 cents per gb.

Install to a new hard drive.. then you can easily pull off the stuff you want from the old one then eventually format it and use it as a clone/backup drive. You won't regret doing that.

4. paulhewett

paulhewett New Member

Thanks for the swift replies.
    I will try the software solution but I think in time it will be a new HDD.

Thanks again,

Paul