Windows 7 Moving files from Mac backup drive to my windows 7 pc

kweatherly

Hi,
I need super support here. My Mac crashed last month and I was happy to report that I had the critical files backed up on an external drive. I gave up on the Mac world and bought a PC with Windows 7 (which I Love). The problem has been getting my data off of the old backup drive. First, it was backed up with a Mac software that is not supported in the PC world. I have a trial version of a software that allows me to see and copy the files from the mac drive, so I thought I was home free. However, the way this back software worked, was to create an entire copy on day 1, then on day 2 (in a separate file), copy all the files, but only the contents for the changed files. Thus, for day 2, the same files are listed, but mostly have 0 kb. Only the changed files would be included in their entirety in the day 2 backup. The problem is that when you go to copy over the files, the system will ask you every time if you want to replace with a 0 kb file. I have 59 days of backups to copy over (my documents, movies, itunes (about 5,000 songs!), pictures, etc.) and it will take me weeks to do this manually. I haven't even mentioned that you have to go 6 folders deep to even get to the files, or that Windows Explorer crashes on me. So I need to find a software that can read the backup drive, select only the files that have >0 kb and copy them over easily. PLEASE HELP ME - I AM GOING CRAZY! THANKS! Kaitlin

Easiest way I can think of would be to run a recovery onto a Mac, run a single backup onto the external drive and that will eliminate all the zero length files as it will be a single backup without the 59 days of add-ons.

Is the package you're using Macdisk? That package allows you to sort files by size.

Back