Windows 7 Moving from 32bit to 64bit

Blackfryar

Hi, I'm looking for some advice before I take the plunge and move to 64bit. I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and I'm considering reformatting my hard drive (after backing up) and reinstalling (via a clean install) Windows 7 on the 64 bit format. I'm assuming that when I boot Windows 7 from the DVD I will again be given the option of 32bit or 64bit. My question is; Is it worth the hassle and will I see any real benefit in moving to 64 bit?

Hi, I'm looking for some advice before I take the plunge and move to 64bit. I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and I'm considering reformatting my hard drive (after backing up) and reinstalling (via a clean install) Windows 7 on the 64 bit format. I'm assuming that when I boot Windows 7 from the DVD I will again be given the option of 32bit or 64bit. My question is; Is it worth the hassle and will I see any real benefit in moving to 64 bit?

To install 64bit windows, you need to have the 64bit windows disc (which should be provided along with the 32bit disc in a retail version). And as long as you make sure that 64bit drivers are available for your hardware, you should be fine! Regarding benefit, you'll only be able to see any performance increase when using 64bit apps that handle large amounts of data (video editing, databases, etc) - if you dont do much of that it might not be worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Usually the main reason for going 64bit is to get round the 4GB limit. The two systems run almost identical apart from one or two apps which are quicker under 64bit..
I've just gone over to 64bit as driver support for my hardware has improved and to be honest I haven't really noticed much difference. It is slightly quicker in some things and slower in others so I guess it's down to what you mainly use your machine for.. Also driver support can be a little sketchy depending on your hardware although it is improving all the time..
It is worthwhile moving over to 64bit though as you'll be future proofing...

As kemical said, I would do 64 bit just to future proof yourself. I have a 64 bit installation on my current computer and I really can't tell much difference anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys. I took the plunge this evening and did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. At 00:54GMT everything's looking good.

Back
Top Bottom