Windows 7 Moving Unallocated Space PAST Recovery Partition, OR destroying Recovery all together

Nicholas Fair

So, I have Unallocated space at the very end of my hard drive, even after the 25gb Recovery Partition, this is due to copying my old hard drive onto this new one via Clonezilla, and it automatically keeping the unallocated space at the end. Can I either move the unallocated space around the Recovery Partition, or delete the Recovery Partition altogether? Sorry if I am being a little unclear. I will attach a picture explaining what I need.. kind of.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 387
No Problem. You should of course make sure you have burned at least one copy of the recovery partition to optical disks. You should use a tool like easeus partition manager to make the changes you want - You must ensure that you make backup copies of any important files before making partition changes. You can get a freee copy of easues from here:

Best partition manager software - EaseUS Partition Master Family.

So, I have Unallocated space at the very end of my hard drive, even after the 25gb Recovery Partition, this is due to copying my old hard drive onto this new one via Clonezilla, and it automatically keeping the unallocated space at the end. Can I either move the unallocated space around the Recovery Partition, or delete the Recovery Partition altogether? Sorry if I am being a little unclear. I will attach a picture explaining what I need.. kind of.

I think what you're looking for is a simple way to join unallocated space to an existing partition? If it is, give Partition Wizard a try. It's free and I've used it to create new partitions by resizing existing partitions and merge unallocated space to existing partitions.

I don't suppose you would be willing to move your data from D: then delete that partition and combine that space with C: Then turn the current unallocated space into the new Data Partition?

I suppose there is a chance this type of operation would mess up your recovery process.

But as Pat mentions, moving partition can be dangerous, so make backups, and an image if possible.

Last edited:
First step would be to backup your data. If you still have the original drive, this would be no issue.

If you are wanting to keep the Recovery partition, if it were me I would do as mentioned above and Partition Wizard Home(specifically the BootCD). Using the BootCD you can move the Recovery Partition to the end of the drive and delete all other partitions. Making sure the Recovery Partition is the active partition, then boot and allow the recovery software to restore the drive and create partition.

If you are not wanting to keep the recovery partition, then simply delete the recovery partition and then expand D:.

Back
Top Bottom