Mozilla Firefox

Mozilla Firefox Version 57.0

Mozilla has released Version 3.6.4 of the Firefox browser. This version includes a new crash protection feature, as well as security and stability fixes.

Mozilla has released Version 3.6.6 of the Firefox browser. This version modifies the crash protection feature to increase the amount of time that plugins are allowed to be non-responsive before being terminated. Note that there is no Firefox 3.6.5 - Mozilla has deliberately skipped this version number.

The next major update of Mozilla's popular open source browser Firefox is due by the end of this year but enthusiasts and developers don't have to wait to see what goodies it brings as the first Firefox 4 beta has now been made available and is awaiting testing.

According to its maker, Firefox 4 comes with a refreshed interface on Windows - tabs on top plus a Firefox button that replaces the menu bar (BEd: Opera has something like that too, since v10.50), a new Addons Manager and extension management API, support for the WebM video format and more:

- Significant API improvements are available for JS-ctypes, a foreign function interface for extensions.

- The stop and reload buttons have been merged into a single button on Windows, Mac and Linux.

- The Bookmarks Toolbar has been replaced with a Bookmarks Button by default (you can switch it back if you'd like).

- Crash protection for Windows, Linux, and Mac when there is a crash in the Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins.

- CSS Transitions are partially supported.

- Full WebGL support is included but disabled by default at this time.

- Core Animation rendering model for plugins on Mac OS X. Plugins which also support this rendering model can now draw faster and more efficiently.

- An experimental Direct2D rendering backend is available on Windows, turned off by default.

- Web developers can use Websockets for a low complexity, low latency, bidirectional communications API.

- Web developers can update the URL field without reloading the page using HTML History APIs.

- More responsive page rendering using lazy frame construction.

- Link history lookup is done asynchronously to provide better responsiveness during pageload.

- CSS :visited selectors have been changed to block websites from being able to check a user's browsing history.

- New HTML5 parser.

- Support for more HTML5 form controls.

To get a feel of the Foxxy One (tm) 4.0 see this page for the required download:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta//

Ref: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks Kemical! Been using this now for the past half hour and it seems great. It works with my plugins which are No-Script, Adblock Plus.

However, it is currently incompatible with the latest versions of RefControl and Download Helper, which I use.

Other than that, seems to be getting on really well.

Thanks again.

Newest Firefox hits the street (Firefox 4 beta)

The latest Firefox version (Firefox 4) has been released in beta1.

Firefox 4 Beta

John Haller has released a Portable version at

http://portableapps.com/news/2010-07-06_-_...able_4.0_beta_1

I have the portable version installed on my U:\ partition for testing.
I like what I see so far.
Addon compatibility is sketchy but that is to be expected.
I'm sure that will improve with time.

I've tested the 4.0 version against Firefox 3.6.6 and the latest Chrome v5.0.375.99
using Sunspider Java benchmark.

SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark

Chrome is still faster, ~1.8 times faster but Firefox 4 is ~1.3 times quicker than Firefox 3.6.6 a significant increase.

Re: Newest Firefox hits the street (Firefox 4 beta)

See above post

I havn't tested the speed against IE (my only other installed browser. I did really think it slower, only on observation.
The two new features in the "Tools" drop down menu were interesting, but I could not see that I could put them to good use ( Heads up display and Inspect)
Perhaps the method I use to install it (Can there be two ways??) but I also found that I could not have 3.6.6 and 4 running side by side. One seemed to dominate the other.

but I also found that I could not have 3.6.6 and 4 running side by side. One seemed to dominate the other.

IMO most of the softwares does that because they used the same files same dll just different version. If they can co-exist then we can find more problems. Regarding the speed i too think there isn't much difference maybe a very small different which most of them don't really care ;) Over all i like the new beta. They are doing a great job

- Captain

It could well be something like that. But the Beta does create it's own folder, with all the files, including DLLs included. I think a more likely cause is that both are using the same profile under Users - username - Mozilla. Possibly a clash of files there??

I'm using the Firefox 4 beta. It does seem to be a little faster. My favorite thing is how small you can make the control panel. You can have a huge window to work with.

In order to put the Menu Button next to the Address Bar you need to apply this tweak.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Attachments

• Firefox 4 Screeny.jpg
    Firefox 4 Screeny.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Also all but 1 of my extensions are working with it. There is another tweak that allows you to install incompatible addons.

How to Install and Make Incompatible Add-ons Work in Firefox 4

Then I was able to install Nightly Tester Tools.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543/

After I installed it the addons that I use with Firefox 3.6 work except for Glasser. I can live without that.

Awesome dude! This allowed the RefControl plugin to work for me.

I havn't tested the speed against IE (my only other installed browser. I did really think it slower, only on observation.
The two new features in the "Tools" drop down menu were interesting, but I could not see that I could put them to good use ( Heads up display and Inspect)
Perhaps the method I use to install it (Can there be two ways??) but I also found that I could not have 3.6.6 and 4 running side by side. One seemed to dominate the other.
Ok, this works for me to have multiple instances.
I've only used this with the PortableFirefox releases from John Haller.

Modifications to the text might make it work with the installed versions of Firefox, I don't know since I don't use the installed versions.

Copy and paste the following text into a blank text file using notebook or a similar text editor.

Code:
[FirefoxPortable]
FirefoxDirectory=App\firefox
ProfileDirectory=Data\profile
SettingsDirectory=Data\settings
PluginsDirectory=Data\plugins
FirefoxExecutable=firefox.exe
AdditionalParameters=
LocalHomepage=
DisableSplashScreen=false
AllowMultipleInstances=true
DisableIntelligentStart=false
SkipCompregFix=false
RunLocally=false

# The above options are explained in the included readme.txt
# This INI file is an example only and is not used unless it is placed as described in the included readme.txt

Name the resulting file FirefoxPortable.ini and place a copy of it in the directory that contains the firefoxportable.exe do the same for each version of firefoxportable.

That's it.

May not work with installed versions of firefox.

Also all but 1 of my extensions are working with it. There is another tweak that allows you to install incompatible addons.

How to Install and Make Incompatible Add-ons Work in Firefox 4

Then I was able to install Nightly Tester Tools.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543/

After I installed it the addons that I use with Firefox 3.6 work except for Glasser. I can live without that.

Now I have no reason to use version 3.6 at all.

Also, for me Personas still doesn't work. The Icon is in the bottom left as usual but nothing happens when clicking on it

I just recently installed an update from Firefox 4.7.3. to 4.7.4. It fixes a lot of bugs. Several were problems related to You Tube.

Attachments

• Download Helper.JPG
    Download Helper.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 805
Mozilla disables password-stealing Firefox add-on

Mozilla has disabled and added to a block list a Firefox add-on that stole log-in information when users visited Web sites, the company says.

The software, called Mozilla Sniffer, had been downloaded about 1,800 times in the approximately five weeks it was available on addons.mozilla.org, Mozilla reported in a blog post on Tuesday.

The blocklist will prompt the add-on to be uninstalled for computers running the program. Users who installed it should change their passwords.

Mozilla Sniffer intercepts login data and sends it to a remote server that appeared to be down, according to the blog post.

The software was not developed by Mozilla, nor was it reviewed by the company. Unreviewed add-ons are scanned for viruses, Trojans and other malware, but some malicious activity can only be detected by reviewing the code, Mozilla said.

"We're already working on implementing a new security model for addons.mozilla.org that will require all add-ons to be code-reviewed before they are discoverable in the site," the company said.

I've found that all the themes I tried didn't work. I guess that's because the biggest change in Version 4 is the appearance. That's ok, I have no problem with the way version 4 looks.

Back
Top Bottom