Mozilla Firefox

Mozilla Firefox Version 57.0

Mozilla has now made available a new patch for the Firefox open source browser and it focuses on fixing no less than 14 security vulnerabilities, eight of which are rated critical, as well as some stability issues.

A list with the bugs killed by Firefox 3.6.7 is available here: Security Advisories for Firefox 3.6 while on this page: Firefox web browser | International versions: Get Firefox in your language you can find the links to download this latest foxxy release for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

Ref: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Firefox 4.0 Beta 2 is ready to update to. Running it here, seems good for the few minutes I've had it so far. Just use the updater in Beta 1 to install it.

Firefox 4.0 Beta 2 is ready to update to. Running it here, seems good for the few minutes I've had it so far. Just use the updater in Beta 1 to install it.

Is it any faster? I've been running Beta 1 for a week or so and it takes for ages to load. Also I know you can 'override' the add-ons check but I still have one, which is Fire FTP which doesn't work. Lastly being a Beta I cannot use internet banking, the bank site won't allow me to log on using a Beta browser. So all in all the Beta versions are just that for me, test versions.

I tried Beta 2 and it did seem a little faster at start up. The thing they're bragging about is the App Tab feature where you can turn any open tab into an App Tab. It's supposed to keep them when you restart Firefox but that never worked for me. They always shut off. I wanted it to work because then I could turn off the Bookmarks Toolbar which makes for a huge window to view.

The reason I went back to Beta 1 is because the IE Tab extension wouldn't work on it. I really need IE Tab so Beta 2 is a no go for me. When they upgrade IE Tab to work with it I'll probably give it another try.

Mozilla releases Firefox 4.0 Beta 5
Performance still trampled by Google Chrome

Over the past few months, developers at Mozilla Corporation have engaged in the final stages of the software development cycle for the next major release of the organization's highly-acclaimed browser, Mozilla Firefox.

The company recently released Firefox 4.0 Beta 5, which includes a more streamlined interface (think Google Chrome), GPGPU acceleration toggle options, and a new Audio Data API that exposes raw audio data in the browser by making use of HTML5 standards. The latest beta release also includes the highly-anticipated Firefox Sync feature by default for synchronization of bookmarks, history, passwords and open tabs between multiple devices (including iPod, iPhone and iPad).

firefox_4_beta_banner.png

For Windows 7 users, Direct2D Hardware Acceleration is now enabled by default, whereas in Firefox 4.0 Beta 4 it had to be enabled through a command line switch. Mozilla has also been hard at work on a new feature introduced in Beta 5 known as the HSTS Security Protocol, which allows sites to insist that they only be loaded in the browser over SSL. This security mechanism increases the chance of a secure connection between client and server and ensures an extra protection safeguard for confidential information transactions.

Firefox 4.0 Beta 5 also addresses 637 new bugs since the previous release, all of which are listed on the Bug List webpage. Mozilla has publicly announced that a stable version of Firefox 4 should be ready for mass availability by November 2010. Until then, it is the responsibility of Mozilla's loyal user base to continue testing for stability issues, rendering anomalies and security holes, and to provide honest feedback in terms of the new UI layout, feature list and overall software package.

We were able to test Firefox 4.0 Beta 5 performance on a 13-inch Macbook running OS X 10.6.4 with an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz CPU and 2GB DDR2 667MHz memory. Unfortunately, the browser is doing worse than it has in previous benchmarks, and it still faces a tough uphill performance challenge in order to catch up to the likes of Google Chrome 6 Beta and Safari 5.0.2.

firefox4b5_benchmark_macbook.jpg

Download: Firefox 4 Beta

I think I've finally given up on them ever speeding up Firefox. The Firefox 4.0b6 Beta as as slow as a snail. Plus now Chrome has a javascript blocker of sorts. I'm using that now but I'll check out Firefox again with each new incarnation. I do really like NoScript with Firefox. It saved me from a click jacker earlier today.

I too gave up on Firefox more than a year ago. It truly is a resource hogging slug.

However, it's easily possible to make a huge difference in page load times by allowing multiple connections:
Make Firefox Faster

The funny thing is, this little known feature has existed every since the early days of Firefox.

I too gave up on Firefox more than a year ago. It truly is a resource hogging slug.

However, it's easily possible to make a huge difference in page load times by allowing multiple connections:
Make Firefox Faster

The funny thing is, this little known feature has existed every since the early days of Firefox.
Oops, I forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me Mitch. Maybe it'll help.

Yesterday I tried to view a video I found on Facebook. NoScript blocked it and informed me that it is a "Click Jacker". That's why I have always used Firefox. I can't bear the idea of surfing the internet without NoScript.

I just wish they could speed it up.

Last edited:
Firefox 4.0 beta 7 brings more speed, graphics improvements

firefox.png

Mozilla has now released the seventh beta version of the now 2011-bound Firefox 4.0 browser. This latest test version is said to be feature-complete and it brings even higher JavaScript performance thanks to the JägerMonkey JIT compiler and enhances support for hardware-accelerated graphics.
The Beta 7 enables hardware acceleration for Windows XP and Mac OS X, adds WebGL into the mix, boasts support for the OpenType font format and has improved HTML5 forms.
Those interested can download the Firefox 4.0 beta 7 from this page.

Ref: Firefox 4.0 beta 7 brings more speed, graphics improvements | TechConnect Magazine

Help test it
Mozilla launched the 4.0 Beta 8 version of its browser Firefox for the masses to test and provide feedback on.

The Beta 8 version is said to bring simplified syncing setup, support for WebGL 3D graphics, and a redesigned Add-ons manager. It is available in 69 localized versions covering most languages.

Writing articles on betas and updates has got to be the worst. Seriously. However, filling out the third paragraph with unrelated stuff usually does the trick.

If you're interested in taking it for a spin, you can find it and download it here.

Ref: Mozilla outs Firefox 4.0 Beta 8

Mozilla today rolled out the ninth beta version of Firefox 4.0, a build which comes with enhancements that speed up startup and bookmarking, and enables per-compartment garbage collection, allowing for smoother animations.
The Firefox 4.0 beta 9 can be downloaded from this page in one of 76 languages for Windows, Mac OS or Linux.

Ref: Firefox 4.0 beta 9 brings further tweaks | TechConnect Magazine
My Firefox updated itself last night. I don't notice any difference. I think my installation is a little messed up though. Without the tweak that puts the tabs and the Firefox button on the same bar it separates them. I didn't find a setting for that. Is there one? Also my Stop/Refresh button has been uncombined. I allowed a program upgrade that added a toolbar to Firefox. Don't ask me how I missed that because I don't know. Anyway my Firefox hasn't been the same since. I hate to reinstall it though because I have quite a few extensions to mess with.

The Mozilla Foundation rolled out the tenth, yes tenth Firefox 4.0 beta build which brings memory usage improvements, as well as support for a graphics driver blacklist to improve stability, and compatibility and stability tweaks for using Adobe Flash on Mac OS X.
Firefox 4.0, which has been in a public beta stage since early July (2010), will get yet another beta release probably next week, after which it is expected to finally reach RC (Release Candidate) status. The final' Firefox 4.0 is planned for a late February arrival, assuming there won't be any major bugs to slow down its developers.
Firefox 4.0 comes with an updated look (and feel), GPU hardware acceleration, the JagerMonkey JavaScript engine, WebM support, a new add-on manager, Firefox Sync, multi-touch support and more. To test all these out just see this page for the latest Firefox beta build.

ReF: Firefox 4.0 beta 10 available for download | TechConnect Magazine

Back