Windows 7 mpfilter.sys corrupt

Glynn Buxton

Hi, having a problem with my laptop, was originally a vista machine but purchased windows 7 and installed as a fresh copy. All installed ok but when i do the windows updates and system restarts, it always goes into start up repair mode and fails.
the error in the log says mpfilter.sys is corrupt.
I did run the pc for a couple of months without doing any updates and it was fine, as soon as updates were installed it no longer worked.

I don't know what this is or how to fix it.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You might try opening an Administrative command prompt and check the system files. Maybe that would repair the problem. I got a new file it seems in Aug for that one.

Anyway, in the command prompt window type sfc /scannow and let it finish. Let us know if any errors are found.

All i get is 'there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again'.
Have tried rebooting and each i get this.

Some updates seem to require a complete shutdown to complete. Have you shut your system all the way down recently?

Do you show any Windows Updates that have failed, and not installed later?

It appers the Mpfilter.sys is related to Microsoft Security Essentials. I do show an update for that on the same day as the date of the file. If you can't get it straightened out, you might try uninstalling and reinstalling MSE.

Back