MSE Alert

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I just got an unusual alert when I attempted to use a video downloader that I've had for quite a while. Actually, I didn't get the chance to actually try to download anything, because the alert blocked it just as the video's page loaded. I started to run the cleaning, but as fast as I selected it, Kaspersky popped another alert, which appears to be the security cleaner that MSE had downloaded. I don't care much for the idea of trading one trojan for another, whether it is MS's or someone else's. Still it seems strange that my video downloader would be calling for these trojan, etc. when I've used it thousands of times previously, without anything like this occurring.

The MSE alert is not easy to fully understand, because it doesn't say anything about where the files are located, and I don't like pulling the trigger just because MSE says so. Anyone know how to find exactly where these files are? MSE Alert.png

Never-mind, I think I located them in the temporary internet files. I deleted them and now am running scans with Kaspersky.

I'm still trying to sort this out, because the offending Temporary Internet Files keep appearing each time I use the downloader now, but both MSE and Kaspersky no longer squawk about it. However, this raises another question, because I don't remember ever installing MSE nor do I find it listed in Programs And Features, neither do I see anything in Windows Updates History that appear to be any kind of update to it.

Since it is possible for it to be conflicting with Kaspersky, how do I get rid of it?

I don't mean to push the alarm button, but.......
if you don't recall you had MSE installed, nor can you find it in Programs and Features, then it is very likely you had gotten a rogue program disguises as MSE.
There are faked MSE in the web.

I am not a security expert. I understand there is a Security guru who frequents in this forum.
Hopefully he will come to your rescue.

Meanwhile, while you are waiting, would you try running a free version of Malwarebytes and see if it catches anything.
Also go to C;\Program Files, or C;\Program Files(x86) and delete anything that says MSE.
Also use regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software and delete the same.
Repeat regedit >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software and delete the same.

Last edited:
I'vel run MBAM several times since then, and it has never squawked, and I find nothing in either registry key path by that name either.

Back