Windows 7 Mse

textureDnB

A large amount of you folks on here seem to have a supernatural ability to know that the rest of the population can only speculate about. Do any of you well connected folks like drew or reghackr or anyone have an idea of when Microsoft Security Essentials is intended to be made available i've searched the internet till i'm blue to no avail. I'm down to my last option for free which is avast and i just can't feel comfortable with it.I truly wish AVG hadn't gone down the road they have traveled but that is typical for a piece of software i enjoy it always goes to the crapper.

As a Beta Tester the only thing I have heard is what I read about I believe on Paul Thurrott's Super Site. It's looking to be released on or before the time Windows 7 is officially released to everyone, which would be October 22, 2009.

MS likes gray areas and rumors don't they? Now I have something to go on at least appreciate the info fellas.

Microsoft Security Essentials

I don't have any information regarding General Availability of Security Essentials, but I can tell you where to find a download link to the beta. Based on my experience with the beta, it is going to "put the hurt" on some high dollar security aplications when it is generally available. (I hope I am not violating any Forum rules here) For the beta, go to Link Removed - Invalid URL , type "Security Essentials" in the search option at the top of the page, click the "download" button, select your OS from the list. That simple. I already have the program installed and didn't test that the program does actually install but it does appear to be a working link. Try that and report back for others who may be interested.

John

Drew, When one follows the Microsoft link that you provided, they get a message that the download is "not available in your country or region". This message is now being passed to even U.S. localities. I downloaded this application to a couple of computers the night that I received the email and figured I would get the rest of my computers the next day. Surprise, Surprise! The next day, the quota had already been filled and the download closed. I serviced the rest of my computers through Softpedia.

I have been using it since the Betas came out ( downloaded from Microsoft) and it is good. I compared it with Avast and AVG, free editions, which I have available. It picked up on two minor viruses which the other two ignored.
Only problem I cannot test is.. As you are now all aware, the program can be downloaded from alternative sources, but, if you are not in one of the prescribed countries, will you still get the very important, daily definition updates?

I haven't installed it yet (Trying to give avast a fair swing) but if you follow john's link softpedia has a definitions for download with a pretty recent date at least it was when i looked last night the seventh was up .

I should have mentioned that, like all anti malware programs, Essential has definition update options, as to how often, and what time, you receive them. Like most users, I elect for daily. They are usuall 2 to 4 mbs and come with lighteneing speed as windows updates. According to how you have set your Windows update options, they are very unobtrusive,
(take about 30 seconds to download and install) and do not require, thank goodness, a restart.

Truning off After updates

Have u folks run into MSE turning itself off after updates? I have noticed it a couple of times and the action center warning comes up.....i m sure there s a tweak in there somewhere to stop it...just can't seem to find it..

Many thanks for any assistance

Back