Windows 7 MSE

Joe S

Excellent Member
Quite a few people here use MSE and recommend it a lot. I understand MSE is going to be part of Windows 8. I know we won't really know until Windows 8 comes out but I've got a couple questions. If a person wants to install a third party AV is the MSE going to cause a problem. We all know you are only supposed to have one AV installed and most AV makers have a cleanup tool. The other question is do you think Europe is going to have a hissy fit like they did over IE?
Joe

Windows Defender, as I understand, will incorporate MSE, in Windows 8. The facility to disable it (Windows Defender), will still be available.

Quite a few people here use MSE and recommend it a lot. I understand MSE is going to be part of Windows 8. I know we won't really know until Windows 8 comes out but I've got a couple questions. If a person wants to install a third party AV is the MSE going to cause a problem. We all know you are only supposed to have one AV installed and most AV makers have a cleanup tool. The other question is do you think Europe is going to have a hissy fit like they did over IE?
Joe

In so far as the Europe issue, even if that did happen, people would simply be able to download it and install it at their prerogative. Certainly, there are very good and sound reasons to incorporate the anti-virus product into the operating system from the outset. Many novice computer users will not seek out an anti-virus, and there are truly millions of computers around the world running without an anti-virus product. This certainly has led to critical security problems, and in many cases, it is simply due to many people not knowing any better.

In general, it is true that you do not want to run two anti-virus products simultaneously. It remains to be seen how well MSE is integrated into Windows 8 and what changes are made. I would view it as a positive decision, but one that should be looked at carefully. More importantly, what do you think?

Quick to say I feel it is terrific. When it changed from having the Firewall Off, by default, to being On, by default, it was brilliant. Another huge stride, Defender came embedded. MSE comes along, doing Defender's work, shuts Defender Off. NOW, you call it Defender & say it includes MSE... geeesh, what humorous marketing. Anyway, to me, it makes lots of sense having an MSE/Defender component native & enabled, by default.

For years to desire was to offer free, good security. W/out all the 'history', it came down to MSE... being GOOD A/V & A/M protection. In the past, pre Win8, Defender was embedded but, not MSE. Once MSE was installed one had both GOOD A/M and A/V protection.

NOW, in Windows 8, yea, nothing has to be added to have such great security, by default, right out of the box!!

Terrific!! :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Cheers,
Drew

Maybe not such humerous marketing.
MSE is realively new. Defender was built into Vista and subsequent OS's (7 - Windows 8). MSE needed to be downloaded and installed and was therefore still an option. Microsoft, perhaps, found a cheap way to "test the ice" , with their next OS already in mind, for free. Feedback has been excellent, so now they are ready to incorporate it.
Same with MVPs and their new award status, you could say. The award incudes their latest software. The "chosen" are known to be dedicated helpers and posters. Masses of feedback totally free!
Only humerous part to me is why their was such a monopoly explosion over their built in browser, yet total disregard for some of their other built in features.

I think it's a good idea too because so many people are ignorant and cheap about AV. Even when it comes preinstalled many never pay to continue when the subscription is due. I see posts all the time about people who got infected like that. Then there are some like a certain member here who don't even think AV is needed.
Joe

As a default it is probably a good idea because most people are pretty ignorant when it comes to security. On the other hand, right now MSE would not be my premier choice. It is still a bit 'light'.

For Windows8 I am sure it will be an option (at least in the EU) and hopefully installable without going thru a configuration tool like vLite' A hard wired version would probably end up in the courts.

Back