Windows 7 MSI motherboard won't completely shutdown

cartisdm

A lot of good information was covered in this thread: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/5028-windows-7-wont-shut-down-help.html but it still didn't solve my problem for my board (plus the original post was really old so opened a new topic)

I have a MSI k9n2 Diamond motherboard with the latest BIOS (v2.4) but my system continues to run after a shutdown. The OS completely shuts down but the hardware (system fans, video card fans, lights, etc.) continue to run. If I kill the power switch and turn it back on the computer boots just fine. Also, the computer can restart properly - I only have problems shutting down.

Is there any setting in the bios that might override any OS settings? Do you show a PnP OS in the bios?

Is there any setting in the bios that might override any OS settings? Do you show a PnP OS in the bios?

The ACPI settings are enabled and if you disable them the OS won't boot correctly, aside from that I don't know what else could cause an unusual shutdown problem. What is a PnP OS?

Windows is a PnP Plug and Play) OS. There should be a setting in your bios for whether you have one or not.

How do you normally shutdown? You might try pulling any devices out to test. Do you know of anything that would be set to keep power on if the system was shut down? If you built it, have you re-checked all the motherboard settings?

The only thing I might think of off hand, if the OS is actually shutting down, might be the power supply.

If the OS is not really shutting down, there might be some conflict keeping it from completing. In such a case, I might try using Task Manager to shut down processes prior to shutting down the entire system to see if I could find one causing the problem.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any Warnings or Errors that might help lead to the problem, and look around the time of the shutdowns.

Windows is a PnP Plug and Play) OS. There should be a setting in your bios for whether you have one or not.

How do you normally shutdown? You might try pulling any devices out to test. Do you know of anything that would be set to keep power on if the system was shut down? If you built it, have you re-checked all the motherboard settings?

The only thing I might think of off hand, if the OS is actually shutting down, might be the power supply.

If the OS is not really shutting down, there might be some conflict keeping it from completing. In such a case, I might try using Task Manager to shut down processes prior to shutting down the entire system to see if I could find one causing the problem.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any Warnings or Errors that might help lead to the problem, and look around the time of the shutdowns.

Its not the power supply because I've already replaced that, and I've also pulled all the removable devices individually with no luck. I had this same problem with a short install of Vista but if I run a liveCD of linux (ubuntu 8.10) I can shutdown completely.

The OS is definitely completely shutting down, it's just the motherboard and fans that won't turn off. As far as I can tell all the BIOS settings are configured correctly and I have the motherboard not monitoring any fans or anything that would cause it to continue running.

Taking another route, I have an extra ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 motherboard. If I go ahead and swap everything out what are the chances I could avoid having to reinstall windows 7 (home premium)? I purchased the downloadable upgrade thing so it's not on a bootable CD and just makes formating a pain.....

I would say you would more that likely have to reinstall, but not completely sure. If you have already activated your current install, Microsoft may have problems with you using the same key on another computer.

If you are going to do that, I would try to reset the bios to its default settings to see if it helps. I assume the version of the power supplies you have used are correct for your motherboard.

You might try opening an administrative command prompt and typing powercfg -energy This is for sleep issues, but it might call attention to something. Don't have any other programs running and watch where it puts the report and its name.

I would say you would more that likely have to reinstall, but not completely sure. If you have already activated your current install, Microsoft may have problems with you using the same key on another computer.

If you are going to do that, I would try to reset the bios to its default settings to see if it helps. I assume the version of the power supplies you have used are correct for your motherboard.

You might try opening an administrative command prompt and typing powercfg -energy This is for sleep issues, but it might call attention to something. Don't have any other programs running and watch where it puts the report and its name.

I tried resetting the bios to Optimal Performance and also Fail Safe just to make sure I didn't switch something on my own that would cause problems. I will try the powercfg -energy thing next.

After that I am going to just give in swapping the motherboard because it's the only common denominator in the equation

You can try that but Im betting it doesnt work. I have your exact same m/b with the exact same problem. I had mine fixed and then I got a update or I reinstalled a coprocessor driver. It may have been all my Nvidia drivers...whatever I did I reversed my fix and now I must manually shut down my PC each and every night ! I will figure this out and I will post to this thread when I do. Please let me know if you figure this out. My specs are in my sig.
jwill58
PS....My BIOS ver is 2.5

Last edited:
I had a machine do this which also had a k9n2 board, if I waited long enough the fans etc would eventually shutdown properly. How long have you waited? for the fans to stop.

Well the problem I was having fixed itself in a most unique way. Not sure exactly what happened , but I thought it was my "C" harddrive that shorted but Im using this on my new Motherboard, so Im thinking that my K9N2 Diamond finally shot itself in the foot. I did a few days worth of troubleshooting and finally got tired of doing without my Desktop. I built me a new system with an ASUS m/b. I know this doesnt mean anything , but I now get a score of 7.3 on the "Windows Experience Index ! With my K9N2 sys I was only getting a 5.3 or a 5.6. I did move up to a Quad Core 955 CPU and Im running an ASUS HD6950 modded to a 6970 2GB GPU. (IT has the switch on the side, then you flash the GPU BIOS with the faster card's BIOS). Anyway Imhappy with my new system, I also have 16GB DDR3 RAM on this 64bit sys. I wish I could help , and I hope your system gets better.
jwill58

PS...I guess I was just hoping for a chance to upgrade-I got my wish ! I will update my sig ASAP to show my new rig.

Back