GetBroccoli

Hi I've encountered regular BSOD, the types include whae_uncorrectable_error and system_service_exception. There is actually a third but I couldn't recall what it is.

I've attached the dump files and I'm eager to begin troubleshooting.

My machine uses a 2HDD and an SSD for the OS, and this might have something to do with the problems, or at least it may get in the way of troubleshooting, I suspect from reading some of the other threads posted in BSOD. Please advise.

Attachments

• W7F_19-08-2016.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 396
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, ffffe0009e047028, b0800000, 40151}

Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
the dump files sent were bugcheck 3B and the above. Bugcheck 3B can be caused by system service issues, graphic driver issues and driver issues. Bugcheck 124 on the other hand is usually caused by a hardware error typically overheating. Looking over the dumps though i have a sneaking suspicion the issue lays elsewhere.
Security
I see your running both BitDefender and SuperantiSpyware:

avc3.sys Fri Oct 16 16:55:18 2015: BitDefender Active Virus Control filter driver

SASDIFSV64.SYS Fri Jul 22 00:03:00 2011: SUPERAntiSpyware

Please remove both and just use the onboard Defender as this super stable. See if the bsod stops.

If the bsod continues then you may want to consider updating your Bios
BiosVersion = P1.10
BiosReleaseDate = 11/02/2012
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASRock
BaseBoardProduct = 980DE3/U3S3
ASRock > 980DE3/U3S3
Please double check this is correct for your motherboard.
Your Bios version is first release and the later versions include compatibility updates for both RAM and CPU.
There is also an element of risk if the incorrect file is used or the machine is turned off during mid flash then it can stop the moBo from working correctly.
If your unsure about the process the leave it for now and we can always come back to it.

Please ensure Chrome is updated alongside any drivers

Just check your temps are ok by monitoring them at both rest and full load:
HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools
Pay particular attention to cpu, gpu and system.

Also make sure you do not have a case full of dust bunnies by removing the side panel. If there is a lot of dust I find the fastest way to remove it is to use a vacuum cleaner and small paint brush. Basically just agitate the dust with the brush and use the flexible vacuum tube to suck it up.
Please post any new dump files

I've gone ahead and uninstalled super anti-spyware. I've never used BitDefender though, I use Ad-Aware Antivirus, so I'm a bit confused as to why it would show up?

I'm starting a log using HWiNFO now while I run a game that resulted in a crash a few minutes ago. BSOD didn't occur, instead the screen froze and what sounded like a motor clicking could be heard from the speakers, this also happens quite regularly.

I will update BIOS and vacuum and run some programs known to BSOD, mostly games. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

My PC just restarted without a BSOD or screen freeze, it's pretty rare for this to happen but not unheard of. I've attatched the HWiNFO log file that was running at the time, hopefully that might help rule out overheating as the culprit.

Attachments

• 20_08_2016 FFXIV Crash Log.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 322
Hi,
as far as i could see the cpu topped out at around 50c - 52c. That's not overly drastic as your's is ok until about 62c which is when it will start throttling..
Try resetting the Pagefile as this can get corrupted, basically turn it off, reboot and turn it back on again. Set it to the recommended amount in both boxes and see if if a dump file appears next time you restart.

Clean out any dust build and flash the bios if your happy to do that..

I've just cleaned the dust out and updated my BIOS. Thanks for the tip about the pagefile, I read that keeping the pagefile memory on a drive seperate to the OS is beneficial? An error shows up if I try to remove the pagefile from c: drive even if I have one set up on e: drive.

I opened HWiNFO after a crash and the cpu temp was around 80, I've attached the log which was ended by another crash.

Attachments

• 20_08_2016 LoL Crash Log.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 331
Thank you for the update. I looked over the logs and the cpu reached a temperature of 83.5c which as you well know is way, way too hot and probably your major culprit.
What kind of cooler are you using with the FX 6300?

If it's the cooler that came with the chip then you'll need to upgrade it. If it's already a decent cooler then check for dust build up, the fan is still working and if need be replace the thermal interface material with some fresh.

I'm actually using a coolmaster v8. I'm guessing I dislodged some dust while cleaning it out earlier and it caused I more severe block (the v8 is pretty fiddly to clean) because the pc crashed repeatedly and faster than ever before after I cleaned and flashed BIOS. Hopefully it is just that simple and not an issue with the BIOS update. Disassembling and giving it a thorough cleaning will tell!

Thanks to @kemical for the assistance, might have been a simple answer but I would never have figured it out. Plus I learnt a lot of the side about logging and pagefiles :ahaha:

Wait, are you saying your still getting bsod's? If so please post and we'll take a look.

What are your temps like now or are they still similar? If it's still running as hot then I guess it's obvious as to the culprit but please let us know, thanks.

BSOD's, crashes, redscreens and restarts. I haven't actually experienced a BSOD since posting about the issue, all of my crashes have been the latter. However one of these crashes yielded another mini dump file, I've used the W7F tool and posted and updated log in this post.

I've attached photos of my cpu and heatsink which show a small black splotch, it appears to be heat damage imo. I've cleaned as much dust as I could find from the heat sink and reapplied thermal paste, if I continue to BSOD and crash I'm guessing my CPU is damaged :(

Not sure whether I'd be happier with it being the hardware or an undiscovered software issue; I'd be happy to know it's the CPU and replace it, but a bit bummed to fork out for the replacement. Is there a possibility of it being software still? If it is heat and CPU damage are there any hotfixes or optimisations that I can use while I get the money together for a new one?

WP_20160821_003.jpg WP_20160821_001.jpg

Attachments

• W7F_21-08-2016.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 384
Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80041a43a32, ffffd000211a7aa0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KxWaitForLockOwnerShipWithIrql+12 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
something i forgot to ask you earlier is can you post the make and model of your PSU?

I checked the dump file dated 8/19/16 as this is the only dump to contain an unloaded driver list. Sometimes a Bugcheck 124 happens so quickly that either a dump file isn't created or doesn't hold all the information needed.
It seems we have a little mystery on our hands.. Remember I mentioned BitDefender? Well this is a snip of the 'Driver Stack' contained within the dump file:

bitdefender.JPG

avc3.sys Fri Oct 16 16:55:18 2015: BitDefender Active Virus Control filter driver

avchv.sys Mon Aug 31 15:23:38 2015: BitDefender AntiVirus Active Virus Control Hypervisor driver

avckf.sys Mon Aug 31 15:27:59 2015: BitDefender Active Virus Control Kernel Filtering driver

Try running the uninstall tool found near the bottom of this page:
How to uninstall Bitdefender 2015

I could also see Superantispyware was still installed too, please remove.

Since cleaning the Heatsink and fan as well as applying new TiM have you checked your temperatures?

As to whether the black mark is heat related I'm unsure. I did a search via Google images for similar stuff and whilst I found blackened CPU's nothing seemed to match up. So at this point we'll have to go back to testing and checking temperatures.

When you updated the Bios did you apply optimised defaults? It's usually good practice after updating as sets the system back to square one, bios wise.
Once set you can then go and make any changes you might need to (like setting RAM speed and the like).

Best of luck and please let us know any results.

Heya, sorry I jumped ship when I thought I had solved everything, I thought I might give a bit of an update.

PSU is a Corsair VS650

BitDefender is not found anywhere in programs and features.

I ran Prime95 and found cores 5 and 6 were returning error warnings:
Core 6 returned - FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Core 5 returned - FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.47265625, expected less than 0.4

I'm not an expert on CPU architecture but I'm guessing rounding errors in calculations would leave excess data clogging the memory cache? Just a guess. And it doesn't explain high temps.

I also noticed on HWiNFO that cores 5 and 6 would report almost double the clock speed while showing less than half "usage".

I have run HWiNFO with each startup with instructions to shutdown automatically whenever temps rise above 65ish, so far there have been no BSOD or fatal crashes since.

I ran Prime95 and found cores 5 and 6 were returning error warnings:
Core 6 returned - FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Core 5 returned - FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.47265625, expected less than 0.4

Are you overclocking? If you are try returning to default settings, the above looks like it's overheating or not getting enough power. You could also try setting the Bios to 'optimised defaults' which can help especially if the bios has been flashed recently.

I have run HWiNFO with each startup with instructions to shutdown automatically whenever temps rise above 65ish, so far there have been no BSOD or fatal crashes since.

It sounds like your cooling needs revising. Does the cpu reach these temps often and in doing so shuts down?

Are you overclocking? If you are try returning to default settings, the above looks like it's overheating or not getting enough power. You could also try setting the Bios to 'optimised defaults' which can help especially if the bios has been flashed recently.

I didn't have any OC options enabled however one of the default BIOS settings called "CPU Active Core Control" was enabled. As I understand it this adjusts core frequencies to help maximise performance under different loads. I disabled this and found a marked decrease in temps. It seems the CPU may have been overclocking itself under load.

Does the cpu reach these temps often and in doing so shuts down?

Yes it does.

It's strange tho, I just experienced another crash (I didn't have HWiNFO running at the time), but it seems like high temps weren't an issue (the heatsink was NOT hot to the touch as it usually would be).

A host of other issues are beginning to show up as well:
My screen will sometimes go completely grey after loading windows instead of showing the login screen. Also when login is successful the screen will intermittently go completely black, sometimes up 5 or more times. During the black out the mouse is still visible and can be moved but I cannot interact with anything open at the time. Stranger still, these black outs have ended up sending me back to the login screen, but only on one occasion!
These issues started happening immediately after I disabled "CPU Active Core Control" and at the same time disable "AMD Turbo Core Technology", I re-enabled Turbo Core after booting to a grey screen, but left CPU ACC disabled. As I understand it they do much the same thing.

This is such a headache because temps would be an easy fix, but now I'm worried that a new cpu and better cooling might end up being wasted, or worse, cause damage to the new parts.

Attachments

• W7F_04-10-2016.zip
    584.1 KB · Views: 505
Apparently "AMD Turbo Core Technology" will shut down cores that are not in use. Because cores 5 and 6 on my CPU are returning errors and are most likely damaged I think booting with this setting disabled ment that all cores were given tasks that only the first 4 could completely successfully. Just a thought. I'll just quote the Prime95 test errors.

worker 5 returned
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected

worker 4 returned
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.47265625, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected

Code:

BugCheck A, {ffffdc0a303b87b0, ff, 0, fffff80195fdec38}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!PopNotifyShutdownListener+10 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
I didn't have any OC options enabled however one of the default BIOS settings called "CPU Active Core Control" was enabled. As I understand it this adjusts core frequencies to help maximise performance under different loads. I disabled this and found a marked decrease in temps. It seems the CPU may have been overclocking itself under load.
Yes it's called Turbo mode or boost where the chip will overclock under certain conditions. This is quite normal and nothing to worry about (usually).

Apparently "AMD Turbo Core Technology" will shut down cores that are not in use. Because cores 5 and 6 on my CPU are returning errors and are most likely damaged I think booting with this setting disabled ment that all cores were given tasks that only the first 4 could completely successfully. Just a thought. I'll just quote the Prime95 test errors.
It's probably not an actual hardware failure but more of a sign of instability.

Can you post what voltage your cpu is running at please. Also please enable CPU Active Core Control as this is quite important.

Did you ever try my suggestion regarding setting the bios to 'optimised defaults'? If not please do so asap.

It appears there's an issue with your graphics driver. This is taken from the dxdiag:

DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Display Tab 2: There is a problem with AMD Radeon (TM) R9 200 Series device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 43'
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

Device Status: 01802400 [DN_HAS_PROBLEM|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: 0000002B [CM_PROB_FAILED_POST_START]

It looks like the gpu is running on the basic display driver which comes with windows despite having a AMD driver installed.

Please use the DDU or Display Driver uninstaller to clean out your existing drivers as well as previous installs, you'll need to boot into safe mode to use it properly. Once you boot back into windows install the new driver so make sure you download it first.
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.2.0 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum
Post back with any updates

Last edited:
May I add, could you install AMD Overdrive and get us a screengrab of the CPU Status tab. Would be helpful to see what the thermal margin temps are at idle and under load.

I re-enabled Turbo Core after booting to a grey screen, but left CPU ACC disabled.

Whoops, this was actually the other way around, I disabled AMD Turbo Core Technology and left CPU Active Core Control active.

Did you ever try my suggestion regarding setting the bios to 'optimised defaults'? If not please do so asap.

Yes I've done this and the screen flickering appears to have stopped, both AMD Turbo Core Technology and CPU Active Core Control are set to 'Auto' and 'Enabled' respectively.

May I add, could you install AMD Overdrive and get us a screengrab of the CPU Status tab. Would be helpful to see what the thermal margin temps are at idle and under load.

This what you are looking for? I took two spaced about 10-15 minutes apart.
CPU Status.PNG CPU Status.PNG

Please use the DDU or Display Driver uninstaller to clean out your existing drivers as well as previous installs, you'll need to boot into safe mode to use it properly. Once you boot back into windows install the new driver so make sure you download it first.
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.2.0 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum
Post back with any updates

Downloading now, will post back how it goes.

Attachments

• CPU Status 2.PNG
    CPU Status 2.PNG
    118 KB · Views: 425
Back
Top Bottom