Windows 7 must manually enter IP to network windows 7

borrisbeckorov

I have a windows 7 HP Pavillion laptop which i use primarily at my house over a wireless internet connection through a netgear wpn824 wireless router. all of the other machines (vista and XP) in my house can access the internet both wirelessly and over ethernet wires with "autodetect settings" on the windows 7 machine I had to manually assign an IP address. It's fine at my house but if I go out to a public WiFi hotspot I cant connect with either my IP that is in there or if I place it on "autodetect", this is the same way for a wired connection. so my question is can I either have a profile for my house with the IP added and them another for when I'm away or make it so it can automatically detect all the time. it sees all of the wireless connection no matter what but I get "limited connection" if I'm not at my house with an assigned IP address.

Have you been to the properties for the wireless connection and set TCP/IPv4 to obtain IP address and DNS address automatically?

patcooke - yes I had that set on automatically detect for a while with ipv6 disabled, it would connect with no internet or network access. then I changed ipv4 to have a static IP address and it worked but only at my house. I just reinstalled my network adapters and now it wont even connect when I assign an IP to it. when I bring up IPconfig it has a weird IP address and refuses to release it.

thanks

well I got it to connect to the internet now but I had to manually input all the IP and DNs settings again with a static IP. Can I put some info on mere to help? the ipconfig settings from either the computer that connects or the laptop?

thanks

I have a windows 7 HP Pavillion laptop which i use primarily at my house over a wireless internet connection through a netgear wpn824 wireless router. all of the other machines (vista and XP) in my house can access the internet both wirelessly and over ethernet wires with "autodetect settings" on the windows 7 machine I had to manually assign an IP address. It's fine at my house but if I go out to a public WiFi hotspot I cant connect with either my IP that is in there or if I place it on "autodetect", this is the same way for a wired connection. so my question is can I either have a profile for my house with the IP added and them another for when I'm away or make it so it can automatically detect all the time. it sees all of the wireless connection no matter what but I get "limited connection" if I'm not at my house with an assigned IP address.
First try typing services.msc in the search dialog box scroll down and make sure that the DHCP client and DNS client services are started, running and set to automatic.
If you get no DHCP information wired or wireless at home nor elsewhere, then I would suspect that there is some software impacting the DHCP processes.
You can check the advanced settings in the Windows Firewall configuration under "Core Networking Components" and you can see that you can allow or block inbound and outbound, IPv4 and IPv6 traffic. So perhaps take a look there or for just a quick fix disable the windows firewall. Also if you have any third party firewalls (Zone Alarm, Comodo, etc) or Internet Security Suites with Firewall Applets, (Norton, McAfee, etc.) Uninstall them, disabling them may not be enough to resolve the issue, so uninstall them for now see if your issue persists. You can always reinstall them later.

Trouble! DHCP was set to automatic but not started, DNS is started and sutomatic.

here is what I get when I try to start DHCP:

"windows could not start the DHCP client on Local Computer.

error 1079: the account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running on the same process"

I don't have any antivirus other than AVG and it was installed after this was already an issue.

in the core networking settings I do not have a setting either inbound or ourbound for "IPv4" but "IPv6" is set to all, allow and yes.

I also tried disbling the windows firewall and it didnt do anything. I can still only get online when I manually put my IP and DNS in the adapter settings.

thanks

Trouble! DHCP was set to automatic but not started, DNS is started and sutomatic.

here is what I get when I try to start DHCP:

"windows could not start the DHCP client on Local Computer.

error 1079: the account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running on the same process"

I don't have any antivirus other than AVG and it was installed after this was already an issue.

in the core networking settings I do not have a setting either inbound or ourbound for "IPv4" but "IPv6" is set to all, allow and yes.

I also tried disbling the windows firewall and it didnt do anything. I can still only get online when I manually put my IP and DNS in the adapter settings.

thanks
OK, so go back to the services console, double click the DHCP service, choose the log on tab at the top of the dialog box, make sure that the radio button near the words "This account" is selected, then click the browse button, then the advanced button on the next dialog box, then the find now button on the next dialog box, then in the "Select User" dialog box near the bottom, select the "LOCAL SERVICE" group and OK, your way back out of there and then see if you can start the service.. Without the DHCP client service running you are going to continue to have this issue, so we need to see if we can get this resolved.

TROUBLE YOU'RE THE BEST!!

thanks, as far as I can tell its working with automatically detect, and I have my firewall on.

thanks again

TROUBLE YOU'RE THE BEST!!

thanks, as far as I can tell its working with automatically detect, and I have my firewall on.

thanks again
Excellent news. Glad you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back with the update and you of course are very welcome. Please stick around the forum, share your experience and help other members. Look forward to seeing you around.

Back