Windows 7 My computer can't add xbox as an extender to WMC but others can.

dmack09

Solved: see comments

My computer info:

Toshiba protege m750 S7212

Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHZ 2.40 GHz
Ram: 4.00 GB (2.87 usable)
32-bit

I can not get my Windows Media Center to connect to my xbox as an extender. I decided to attempt to use another computer to connect and as soon as WMC opened up it ask if I wanted to connect my xbox 360 as extender, which worked. That computer was a new Dell laptop. I haven't been able to set my Xbox 360 up as an extender to my Toshiba, with both the new sleek black one with the built in wifi, or the older 360 I had. This tells me 1: It is not my Xbox. 2: It is probably not my router settings. 3. Its a computer specific problem. When I search for my xbox as an extender on the Toshiba it Can't get past "configuring device". But I can see the xbox from Toshiba under the network window in explorer as a media device. My WMC runs fine. I haven't actually tried to use for anything other than adding my xbox as an extender but it does not crash. My xbox is not now or previously set up with another device before my Dell computer attempt.

Things I've tried:
Every setting possible for two different routers I've owned that both boast media center compatibility (which is true for the Dell). All the port forwarding and opening and even putting my xbox into the DMZ. DO NOT TELL ME TO GO TO A SITE ABOUT ROUTER SETTINGS.

Uninstalling WMC by turning it off and on as a windows feature via the programs and features menu.
Turning my firewall completely off to update and connect to Xbox
Direct connecting both computer and xbox to router.
Updating all my drivers.
"Download now" option under WMC general settings to try and the most recent update.

command prompt: sfc /scannow. Everything came back verified.
Create another user account with admin rights.

Both the Dell and my Toshiba are the most recent version of WMC: 6.1.7601.17541 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850). The only feature the Dell has that I don't is "Cyberlink Power DVD" which might be a Delly only feature. Both computers have the same setting on the router as well. My computer wasn't able to use the last cisco one to add the xbox and now we have a d-link DIR-685. With updated firmware. All my drivers are updated except for the PCI Simple Communications Controller which I tried an automatic and manual update through the intel set. And the AYGOK82A IDE Controller driver which didnt even show up after a web search.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
​Update: I found out that I needed to change the settings on the service called "SSDP Discrovery" to automatic and start it and refresh it as well as making sure media center extender host and UPnP device host were running. Now the set up runs but will not fully connect and gives me a poor connection error. Which doesn't make sense because the Dell didn't have that problem and the bar graph showing connectivity in WMC says its acceptable for TV viewing.

It appears no one has personal experience with your situation, as I do not.

Glad you got it to partially work, but I know there are some multimedia settings, such as streaming that might be involved, but not sure. If it shows up on you network, in either explorer or the Network and Sharing center in the "Full Map" window, can you right click or get information about the device you could compare with the other system?

Streaming was actually off, but turning it on had no effect. I can right click it under the network map but certain things like serial number are N/A. Now I think the problem has something to do with the ports on my computer. I know how to run netstat in cmd, but I can't find some of the programs using the closed ports because they don't show up in processes under task manager. I figure this is it because its still a computer specific problem. Both my Toshiba and the dell were the same distance from the wireless router and extender and the dell had no connectivity issues whatsoever.

Help and Support seems to have directions on how to set up an XBox with Windows Media Center. If you have not gone through that, it might help. I just typed extender in the search box.

If all of that checks out, we may need to go back to basic wireless access, and one thing might be an antivirus.

Don't know if Toshiba would have a different firewall setup than other systems, but perhaps turn it off to check.

Did you say you could see the device in Explorer? Have you tried pinging it?

I don't suppose there is some type of limitation on how many computers can connect to it?

Help and Support seems to have directions on how to set up an XBox with Windows Media Center. If you have not gone through that, it might help. I just typed extender in the search box.

Please don't insult my intelligence.

If all of that checks out, we may need to go back to basic wireless access, and one thing might be an antivirus.

I've uninstalled everything except windows firewall, and I turned that completely off.

Don't know if Toshiba would have a different firewall setup than other systems, but perhaps turn it off to check.

No but my device came with a fingerprint scanner. I disabled the driver and uninstalled the software for it and it didn't change anything (except now I have to actually type in my password)

Did you say you could see the device in Explorer? Have you tried pinging it?

Yes. When I get home I will get a more precise ping and values I can see in explorer.

I don't suppose there is some type of limitation on how many computers can connect to it?

I am not sure, but it doesn't matter because I use the disconnect option under console settings and start over everytime I do the set up with the dell or my toshiba. I also uninstall the extender on the computer when I have changed settings.

Also last night I Direct connected my xbox and my toshiba with an ethernet cable. It worked up until the same point it stops now. The xbox will say a connection error and it will install on my computer, but says the connectivity is poor. This also tells me it is not my wireless adapter or router at all. It is all about my laptop now.

Back