"My Computer" Icon is missing from desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by zvit, Nov 21, 2010.

1. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

Hey guys, I myself have a problem that sounds simple but I can't seem to figure out.

The question is simple. The "My Computer" icon is missing from my desktop. It's also missing from the Administrator account and I can't get it show either on any new account that I create. I use here at home Windows Professional.

All other icons from the Desktop Icon Settings windows work fine. (eg: Control panel, Network etc...)

I know people will try to give the basic solutions so I will just say that I have done all the basic things like check "show on desktop", checking "My Computer" in Desktop icon setting window, view\show desktop icons, refreshing the icon cache, using 3rd party software like Ultimate Windows Tweaker, using Godmode, and yes.... I restarted my computer :)

I bought this computer 2 months ago and it has been like this since I got it. I just dragged a shortcut out to the DT but it bugs me when I can't find a solution to little things like this.

#1 zvit, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Well since you are probably the guy I would ask for help if I had the same problem, looks like a solution may take a while. Sorry I know you've already done most things that I would suggest.

3. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony New Member

go to personalize > change desktop icons > tick computer icon..
    huh.. maybe It will work

1 person likes this.
  4. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

got to be somewhere in the desktop namespace in the registry, just can't find it

5. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

Mark, thanks for the reply. I've tried that.

Trouble, thanks. I don't spend that much time on my own little problems but I will also search with you to find a solution. I highly suspect it having to do with my particular version of Windows at home (professional) that I've heard have some bugs.

6. FireMarshalBill

FireMarshalBill New Member

Thank you, Mark. You had the suggestion that worked for me. Who needs all that registry mumbo jumbo suggested elsewhere? :)

7. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

You could try this:
    Administrative Tools - Right Click the "Computer" in the nav pane and drag and drop it as a shortcut to the desktop.

Sorry. Just noticed the op date. I guess the problem was solved!!!! lol

#7 davehc, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012