Windows 7 My favourites and libraries are invisible!

Shumboom

W7 x 64 user here.

My 8 year old was messing about on my computer and suddenly I cannot see any of my libraries, my favourites and even the link to My Documents has vanished from the Explorer. My sticky notes have also vanished. I am the only user on the computer.

However when I go to recreate a favourite I am told that the favourite already exists and it renames it to ...(2). The same goes for libraries.

Can anyone tell me what's happened and better still how to fix it.

thanks,Shum

Have you tried 'system restore'? You'll hopefully have a point saved just before your terrible tot got his mitts on the machine..;)

W7 x 64 user here.

My 8 year old was messing about on my computer and suddenly I cannot see any of my libraries, my favourites and even the link to My Documents has vanished from the Explorer. My sticky notes have also vanished. I am the only user on the computer.

However when I go to recreate a favourite I am told that the favourite already exists and it renames it to ...(2). The same goes for libraries.

Can anyone tell me what's happened and better still how to fix it.

thanks,Shum

In addition to what Kemical has suggested, you can also try:

1. Control Panel > Classic items > Folder options > View > Check "Show hidden files and folders" > Apply > Ok
2. Open My Computer > Drive C > C:\Users, there should be your user name that you can open to see if your folders are hidden there
3. As for the links on the right pane of the Start Menu, you can customize in > Control Panel > Classic items > Start Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your documents were not deleted, you can search, find and restore them. But if they were deleted and the trash can emptied, then it is almost impossible to restore them.

Password you account, and turn on the Guest account (Control Panel > User Accounts) for all guests including your son.

In addition to what Kemical has suggested, you can also try:

1. Control Panel > Classic items > Folder options > View > Check "Show hidden files and folders" > Apply > Ok
2. Open My Computer > Drive C > C:\Users, there should be your user name that you can open to see if your folders are hidden there

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks - that was the answer - everything still there and password now changed!

Back