My friend gave me windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by lokclan, Oct 9, 2009.

1. lokclan

lokclan New Member

So i tried installing it to a fresh brand new hard drive, and it gave me the BOOTMGR missing and prompted me to press ctrl+alt+del. Now im sure there are many threads as to what to do in this situation, but i really have no time to search it up, so please, if someone could link me to everything that i will need to get it working, either downloading windows 7 and burning it again (id rather not do that), or whatever, please people ive read a few posts and everyone is helpful, hopefully this will be the same experience for me, i appreciate it in advance, thank you!

sorry for bad grammer and/or punctuation. rushing to type.

-lokclan

2. dinosaurus

dinosaurus Senior Member

Sounds like it is not an ISO, You need an ISO DVD for it to boot from the DVD

3. confused

confused New Member

Beta's ended, rc1 downloads have ended, retail version comes out end of october.:)

4. lokclan

lokclan New Member

it was burned like an actual windows 7 dvd, because when i put it into my windows xp hard drive dvd drive on my desk top, and double click the icon, it runs auto run....what do i do?

5. dinosaurus

dinosaurus Senior Member

Let it run and see what happens

6. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Are you dual-booting or have multiple hard drivers?

And the official RC?

7. Shigemichi

Shigemichi New Member

Did you set your BIOS to boot to your boot media drive first; such as DVD-rom, or USB or LAN before local harddrive?
    Your media may not be not bootable therefore neither it nor the new harddrive has a BOOTMGR record.

Side note: you can re-create the BOOTMGR using the Windows Recovery tools bootrec /rebuildbcd, however, since there's no Windows OS on the hdd to begin with, there's nothing to repair. Using a free tool like PartedMagic4.4 will also create a boot partition for you, but it still require you Win7 media to be bootable.

Check your boot media and whether your iso copy is a bootable copy.

8. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Try burning another ISO using Imgburn The Official ImgBurn Website at 1x speed and make sure you burn it to a good quality name-brans DVD.