Windows 7 My laptop no longer wakes up from sleep mode as of 3 days ago...

austin00

Hello there,

As I said in my title, my laptop has stopped waking up from sleep mode as of 3 days ago. This is a pain in the butt and I'd like to get it fixed. I've looked around these forums a bit for similar problems and haven't really found a solution.

About the problem:
-When my computer goes into sleep mode, it will not wake up to any external input. I did wake it up to random key pressing once a few days ago, but other than that I've had to remove the battery and power and restart it.
-There is no activity whatsoever when I try to wake it up. The LED over the power button blinks normally as it does when sleeping, but no external input does anything (even holding the power button).
-Hybrid sleep and hibernate have been turned off for quite a while.

Info about my computer:
-Running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (which has been installed for about a year or so of the two years I've had it)
-It's an HP Pavillion dv6700 (model is dv6824ca)
-Not sure what else needs to be known, I'll provide info as needed.

The only notable thing that has happened before the problem occurred was a windows update. I guess I could system restore to before the update and before it first happened; is there anything I would need to back up before doing this?

Thanks in advance for all help.

Last edited:
Go into your keyboard settings ...

Control Panel -> Keyboard -> Hardware -> Properties -> Power Management ... make sure the "Allow this device to wake the computer" checkbox is checked.

Now pressing your space bar should wake it up.

Sorry, forgot to say that I double checked this in my original post. The keyboard was set to wake the computer and quit doing it 3 days ago.

Go to the Windows Update page. Click "View update history".

See if any drivers were installed. If any, visit the manufacturer's site to get the latest driver from there. Install.

What TorrentG said... plus double check the setting.

The real p___off is that sometimes windows updates will change these settings without notifying you.

Hmm... I looked through my updates in the past week and can only see security updates for Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows 7 x64 systems, Office, the .net framework, IE8, and a few other MS-based things. I'm not seeing any driver updates, though.

Could system restoring to a date before this problem occurred possibly undo it if it were caused by an update?

Alright, solved it. I system restored to a point where Windows Update ran a week ago; this alone didn't fix it, but when I allowed the system to run the updates that I had previously installed, it began to wake up normally. It would seem that something installed incorrectly earlier and worked properly when I reinstalled it. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone.

Alright, solved it. I system restored to a point where Windows Update ran a week ago; this alone didn't fix it, but when I allowed the system to run the updates that I had previously installed, it began to wake up normally. It would seem that something installed incorrectly earlier and worked properly when I reinstalled it. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone.

Hi, I'm late replying to this, but I wanted to offer a quick hibernate/sleep resource in case your laptop has another issue with not waking up from sleep mode: Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions. Best, Andrea Hofer, Windows 7 Professional Outreach Team

Back