Windows 7 My LG Supermulti Won't Operate

cynicselectant

So, long story short, i got Windows 7 installed by using the clever USB trick. Unfortunately for me though, the DVD drive still fails to work in Windows 7.Not only this but when i load a disc in the tray and try and "Explore" the drive my explorer.exe stops responding and my entire computer must be rebooted. I'm using the 32 bit operating system and after i heard that there was an easy fix i was pretty psyched. Unfortunately changing the registry didn't work because the files that supposedly create the error were non-existent to begin with.

My drive is a LG Supermulti or "HL0DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10", and I have tried to load drivers and such but they haven't been able to produce a solution.

Any help would be appreciated as i'd love to use this OS when it comes out in October, but am weary if my computer's hardware isn't compatible.

EDIT**: I'm using Windows XP currently and the drive is working just fine so the drive itself is in no way damaged.

Perhaps this drive is just not supported under W7.
If W7 is "working" on your PC and you have a CPU that supports virtualization technology, try installing Virtual PC and XP Mode. Once this is installed, log into XP Mode and attempt to access this drive. If it works, which it should because XP Mode is basically XP Pro sp3, then at least you'll know you can still use this drive on this PC, however, you'll be limited to using it only through XP Mode, which pretty much defeats the purpose of being able to use this device in W7.

I have a LG BLU-RAY BD-R GBC-H20L INTERNAL (6x BD-R) SUPER MULTI BLUE BLU-RAY DISC DRIVE and I haven't had any troubles with it in W7 x86 or x64.

5635661.big.jpg

Last edited:
My drive is a LG Supermulti or "HL0DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10", and I have tried to load drivers and such but they haven't been able to produce a solution.

Any help would be appreciated as i'd love to use this OS when it comes out in October, but am weary if my computer's hardware isn't compatible.

EDIT**: I'm using Windows XP currently and the drive is working just fine so the drive itself is in no way damaged.

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem and my DVD drive (GH20NS10) never worked with Windows 7 Beta, RC and RTM and shows exactly same symptoms. I changed the SATA port to every possible combination but it won't work anyway.

However it does not have any problem with XP.

I updated the firmware of the drive several times but no luck. It won't work under win7.

Which firmware did you try?

Apparently the drive had trouble with Vista, and a firmware update was supposed to fix that:

LG Product Support for GH20NS10#

(File is GH20NS10_EL01(EW).zip. It may not support OEM versions of the drive.)

This isn't especially relevant, but my GBC-H20L (BD-Rom/DVD-RW combo) has had no trouble with Vista or Windows 7, both X64.

Last edited:
Which firmware did you try?

Apparently the drive had trouble with Vista, and a firmware update was supposed to fix that:

LG Product Support for GH20NS10#

(File is GH20NS10_EL01(EW).zip. It may not support OEM versions of the drive.)

This is correct. I had problem with Vista too but after I updated the firmware it started to work with Vista. I have received the firmware from the page you just mentioned and it does not work with "Windows 7". It takes 20 minutes for it to get a list of files (which is not even complete) and then copying a single small file will take an hour.

Thanks for your help anyway.

No, I obtained a Samsung drive and throw away this LG one.

I will never again buy an LG drive again. They do not even feel responsible to give out an updated driver for a less than 1 year old drive.

So, long story short, i got Windows 7 installed by using the clever USB trick. Unfortunately for me though, the DVD drive still fails to work in Windows 7.Not only this but when i load a disc in the tray and try and "Explore" the drive my explorer.exe stops responding and my entire computer must be rebooted. I'm using the 32 bit operating system and after i heard that there was an easy fix i was pretty psyched. Unfortunately changing the registry didn't work because the files that supposedly create the error were non-existent to begin with.

I had this same problem with my drive and computer, except i am using a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D (ATA cable)
my pci simple communications controller is also showing yield sign i think this may be the problem

Back