Windows 8 Nav Tips & Keyboard Shortcuts for Win8

I was going to go find these when another Forum Member beat me to it, LOL. Thanks for that!! Anyway, being the big, handy help that they are, I feel they should be a Sticky, though, not just sure in what section of our W8 Forum. Nor can I find or recall where his entry was or in what thread. So anyway, here they are & I humbly take no credit although I added some:

Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows 8:
[WIN KEY] Open Metro Start Screen
Arrow (Direction) Keys will scroll through Start tiles
[WN KEY] >Desktop, (Can need tapping depending on location)
[Esc Key] (Once or twice) > Desktop
[WIN KEY] + C Open Charms bar
[WIN KEY] + I Desktop settings, quick access to power/shutdown/restart
[WIN KEY] + <-- or --> Snaps
grab an open window or an app, @ the top, take it left or right to Snap (split the screen).
[WIN KEY] + Up Arrow gives Full screen
[WN KEY] + Down Arrow back to original window state
[WIN KEY] + W Search Settings
[WIN KEY] + F Search Files
[WIN KEY] + D Go to Desktop anytime, from anywhere
[WIN KEY] + . Snap current app to right side
[WIN KEY] + Shift + . Snap current app to left side
[WIN KEY] + , Peek at the Windows desktop
[WIN KEY] + Q Search Apps (from Desktop)
[WIN KEY] + Z (from Start) Display app bar & ALL APPS icon > All Apps display
Rt Clk, when on Start, also, gives app bar w/ All Apps icon
[WIN KEY] + Enter Narrator
[WIN KEY] + K Devices
[WIN KEY] + L Lock Screen
[WIN KEY] + H Share options
[WIN KEY] + P Projector/Display options
[WIN KEY] + R Run a command
[WIN KEY] + U Ease of Access Center
[WIN KEY] + X Quick access to a variety of system functions
[WIN KEY] + PageUp/PageDown multiple monitors, swap which 1 the Start screen is on
[WIN KEY] + PrtScreen Save .png screenshot of desktop in Pictures library
[WIN KEY] + = Magnifier Larger
[WIN KEY] + - Magnifier Smaller
[WIN KEY] + Tab Gives LF Side Panel scroll through open windows (nicer than Alt + Tab)
Alt + Tab Scrolls through open windows
You can just hit Ctrl at the lock screen instead of dragging with the mouse.
Ctrl-Alt-Del Access to lock, switch user, sign out, Task Manager, power, accessibility

Mouse Tips for Windows 8:
• Move mouse to upper or lower right-hand of screen will open the Charms bar, slide mouse up or down to access.
• In Desktop app, click far right of taskbar to show desktop(minimize all apps), just like Windows 7
• Move mouse to upper-left, then slide cursor down to reveal running app thumbnails
• Move mouse to lower-left, then slide cursor up to reveal running app thumbnails
• Move mouse to upper-left and click mouse repeatedly to cycle through apps
• When in the "app thumbnail bar" (upper-left) right-click thumbnails for options to snap left/right or close app.
* Pull an open App to the bottom of the screen & it will close.
• Move mouse to lower-left and click for Metro Start menu (you can right-click it for a handy menu)
• Move mouse to top edge of screen in a Metro app and the cursor will change to a hand, drag
• down to the bottom of the screen to close the app.
• In Metro Start screen click button in lower-right to activate semantic zoom. You can right-click a group of tiles to name them. Click anywhere to exit semantic zoom. Ctrl + Mouse scroll wheel zooms the Start Menu in and out too.
• Drag tiles anywhere to arrange them. Drag between two groups of tiles and a vertical thick white bar will appear,
dropping a tile on that bar will create a new group.

The menu one gets by Rt Clk @ the bottom-left... not only can you get that when @ Desktop but, also, when @ Start or any other screen, even an App screen.

Whilst @ Desktop, Start is @ bottom-left & Apps @ top-left
But, @ Start, Desktop is @ bottom-left, Apps @ top-left
And when @ an App, Desktop is @ top-left & Start is @ bottom-left

You can, also, Search by beginning to type anywhere on the Start screen

Start can be moved laterally by the mouse & w/out using the scroll bar.

Update 22-03-2012

This can only be done from open Desktop space but, that takes nothing away from its coolness!!
Alt+F4 gives
Screenshot2.png

NB: Credit to Dave for this. Thank you.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: W8 Keyboard Shortcuts & Nav Tips

Gospel!... you put these together w/ what the mouse can do & go & wow, can you ever zip about!! Very fluid!! WinKeyX & WinKeyQ are favorites of mine... WinKeyQ is almost like 'All Programs' on steroids... so cool having everything laid out in front of you, visually & 'pretty' not, just a list of names.

Cheers,
Drew

Help and support has them also. Don't forget that Little goldmine ! (Mouse and keyboard.)

Thank you Drew. This list was so good I also moved it to the Lounge. Everyone trying to find their way around Win 8 CP could use these shortcuts.

Win + D is very helpful as well after you use Win + Q

Ted, maybe grab it, again; I revised or amended the list a bit. Lounge? What lounge? We have a lounge? Meet you there, maybe somebody will buy us a drink :very_drunk: I gotta go see this lounge, wherever it may be... Oh & you're welcome

Dave, many Folks don't think to look there for info. Though, you do bring out a good point; point taken... Remember H&S, people :joyous:

Dunno where this 'lounge' is, looked around, beats me :ambivalence:

There are some more that I have not seen, even in the help and support section.

Winkey+Tab opens the programs band on the left and you can select programs just like ALT+Tab.

If you grab an open window or an app, from the top, you can pull it down and go left or right to split the screen. Seems to split between desktop and UI.

I am wondering if getting a touchpad to use with this OS might be beneficial. I have gone to using the keyboard more because I am already tired of running the mouse all over the screen.

Edit: The pull down and left or right does work also with apps. Playing solitaire in a vertical condition takes some getting used to....

Drew, See the link in my signature.

I had already modified wording a little. I did add the shortcut for Ease of Use.

Re: W8 Keyboard Shortcuts

Please note, thread's OP material has been further amended as of 4/3/12 15:15.

Recommend checking occasionally for future changes or additions.

Cheers,
Drew

You're welcome, Mike. I have a copy sitting on the desk in front on me, too. Soon won't have to glance @ it, anymore (I hope).

Drew

What happens if I use a laptop in front of the TV. Do I have to tape a copy to the inside of my glasses (one side of course) :fat:

6/3/12 00:15 MST

The OP to this thread has just had some very cool amendments added. Check it out, soon :joyous:

Cheers,
Drew

Maybe when Microsoft releases this as a final Retail OS they should consider adding one of those old Word Perfect keyboard overlays, that a lot of us old timers will remember, to the packaging.
Can I use my mouse, should I use my mouse, can I use my keyboard, should I use my keyboard, how do I get there from here.
Ease of use?? Really?
OK, OK... Granted it's not your father's "Windows". Hell it's not even your older brother's "Windows". Can I use it? Sure. Will I pay to use it? Not likely.
Regards
Randy

Hi

I will end up with Windows 8 when I get a new computer. That would be 2 years from now when I replace my Falcon Talon with a new one.

The great thing is that by the time I buy it I'll know how to use it.

Mike
I suspect that is how a lot of people will be adopting Windows 8.
It will be interesting to see if new hardware offerings (Microsoft Keyboard / Microsoft Mouse) will be adapted to be more Windows8-centric.

Yes, lest not forget there will come a time (buying a new puter) when a person will be buying Windows8. From my experience, so far, I will agree/say it would be good if Keyboard shortcuts & Nav Tips were on a sheet in the box... an instruction sheet, actual piece of paper, to guide Folks w/ the learning & functionality and make using this new OS nicer to discover & use. Most End Users don't think to look in Help & Support to get the 'How Tos' about their OS. And this would apply Touch or mouse... the manipulations are, still, the same. I may, even, suggest this to the Win8 Build Team.

Cheers,
Drew

Combined to Original Post.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    906.1 KB · Views: 626

For some reason can't seem to edit my own post

WinKey+Pause gives System window.

Cheers,
Drew

I suspect that is how a lot of people will be adopting Windows 8.
It will be interesting to see if new hardware offerings (Microsoft Keyboard / Microsoft Mouse) will be adapted to be more Windows8-centric.

Back in early march, in post #13 in this thread I posed the query quoted above.
With the RTM of Windows 8 only a couple days away Microsoft announces this, regarding a Windows8-centric keyboard
The $79.95 Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard is a full-size keyboard designed for tablet users, and has specific hot keys for Windows 8 that provide quick access to search, system settings and the Metro user-interface in the Windows 8 OS
and this regarding a Windows8-centric mouse
The Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse, also priced at $49.95, has a four-way touch scroll strip, which makes it easier to navigate through the Windows 8 start screen. By swiping the finger on the panel, users can easily navigate through multiple panels on the Start screen.
SOURCE: Microsoft announces new hardware for Windows 8 - Google Nexus 7 tablet, Windows 8, Windows, operating systems, software, tablets, laptops, hardware systems, Input devices, peripherals, Microsoft - Computerworld

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...ce-and-keyboards-from-microsoft-hardware.aspx

I'll have to add this here, this way because I can't seem to edit or amend my own OP of this Thread that I started.

When in an APP and > Charms, Search applies to within that APP. Example: > NEWS APP > Charms, in Search type Calgary, immediately shows all Calgary News items.

When in an APP and > Charms > Settings, ALL menu items that show pertain to 'options' or 'controls' for that APP.

When in an APP, everything in Charms is geared to that APP.
AND, when in an APP, Win+I pops out ITS Charms Bar. This applies to Desktop, also.

AND here is a nicer, more current photo of the Alt+F4 Power Options window...
Screenshot (57).JPG

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

I'll have to add this here because seems I can't Edit my own OP.

Start & Win8 Store APPs can be moved laterally by the mouse wheel & w/out using the scroll bar. Also, Win+PageUp or PageDown.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom