NDIS.SYS consuming 20+% CPU, going nuts trying to resolve this problem.

I've been having this problem off and on since I installed W7 that my CPU is spiking during low network use (e.g. 2-3mbit/sec).

My setup is W7 (32), Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz, Asus P5E-VMDO, 8gb memory.

Network Adapter is an embedded Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit. No other network adapters are present. If I disable the adapter, the problem goes away.

Upon further inspection using Procexp I narrowed down the cpu spike to ndis.sys

As an example:

Downloading a file at 300kbytes/sec will spike the ndis.sys process to 16-20% of the total CPU. It will actually drag the computer to the point where a video playing will stutter.

The program I use to transfer data doesn't matter (obviously considering disabling the network adapter resolves all problems)

The start address in procexp is "ndis.sys!Ndispacketsize+0x201f"

As soon as the download is complete the total CPU use with regular network "chatter" (total of maybe 100kbit/sec) drops down to between 1-3%.

So the question is, why is the CPU spiking?

First obvious question I would have is, "Is the driver correct?". Well, it's the driver that Windows 7 went out, found, and installed, so I presume it is. The driver is a Microsoft driver Version 9.13.4.10 dated 03/26/2009 and it is the "latest" driver (e.g. an effort to update the driver says I'm using the latest one).

I have turned off all extra settings including WOL and Power Management.

I have not hacked or tweaked with the network settings nor do I run any software that tries to optimize or hack network settings.

Any ideas? BIOS issues perhaps?

Thanks!
Mike

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.