Windows 7 NEC Optiarc SATA DVD Will Not Play DVDs (WMP) or Install Games

JonnyAlpha

Hi;

I am having an annoying problem with my Dual Boot PC.

My NEC AD-7124S SATA DVD DL RW works fine in Windows Xp but will not play DVDs in Windows 7 or install games from DVDs.

I have an Abit AN-M2HD with a Geforce 9800GT Gfx Card and my display is a Toshiba 32 Inch Regza connected via a DVI to VGA lead.

I have a dual boot XP Win 7 system and the DVD Drive works fine in XP but in Win 7 Windows Media Centre and VLC Media Centre will not play DVDs at all. Windows Media Player starts to play the DVD but after about 10 seconds the picture freezes, the HDD light goes solid and stays solid if you closed the program. In task manager WMP process is still running.

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS (v20), installed the latest Geforce and nForce drivers and Shark007 Codecs. The firmware of the DVD drive is v1.03 (The latest). When I installed the nForce drivers although the nVidia web site states that it includes SATA drivers I can only see graphics drivers being installed but these are for the onboard Gfx aren't they. When looking at the DVD driver in control panel it is dated 2006?

I desperately need to sort this problem out, Iv'e already replaced the DVD drive thinking it was at fault, I do not want to buy a new motherboard!!!

Nvidia has drivers for graphics and motherboards/chipsets. The nForce ones are normally for the SATA controllers.

If you check Device Manager, does the DVD have any yellow marks by it or do you show any unknown devices?

Back